Thursday, May 24, 2007

ARE PSYCHOLOGISTS LOSING THEIR MINDS?


Here at my University we sometimes poke a little fun at our friends in the Psychology Dept. The running joke is,"You want apples? Look in an Apple Tree. You want nuts? Look in Psychology." The joke stems from the fact that some (but not all) of our Psychology faculty are, well, a little unusual. I always say, being too introspective is not healthy, psychologists seem to prove that point. Maybe it's just that a large percentage of them got into psychology to find out what's wrong with themselves, whatever the reason, a lot of them seem to be nuttier than the people they study.

This seems to be proving itself over and over in some of the stories that have been coming out lately about the antics of Psychology professors on behalf of the loony left.

I found this story some time ago and I think it well defines what I'm talking about here. It seems that back in 1999, two University psychology professors and a grad professor, (and I'll gladly call them out by name) Bruce Rind from Temple University, Philip Tromovitch from the University of Pennsylvania and Robert Bauserman from the University of (Gasp, my home state) Michigan, co-authored a study called, "A Meta-Analytic Examination of Assumed Properties of Child Sexual Abuse Using College Samples," in which they attempted to justify having child-adult sex by claiming that there was no measurable socio-emotional or psychological damage to the victim. (For those of you who put absolute faith in this kind of garbage, this is a classic example of the kind agenda-driven crap that is spewed by Universities). Further, I had an opportunity to listen to these Profs try to defend their study on-air. Their defense was typical of what you hear around our campus, that morality is Subjective and that other cultures (usually Stone-Age), have sex with their children and since it is accepted, the children and adults see no harm, and with the absence of condemnation and guilt, everyone lives a well adjusted, happy life. Most of these assumptions come from talking with the village elders who do most of the raping and the submissive victims who fear being punished once the outsiders leave. Having seen the result of children who were molested myself, this is either a complete perversion of the truth or the product of sick twisted minds to flat out lie to further their hopeful agenda of being able to have sex with not only college students that they can manipulate, but children as well. I usually try to be as fair as I can be to both sides of any argument, but these people make me sick to my stomach.

The second example I have for you is a little more recent. It comes from a Conference on World Affairs panel at Boulder High located in Boulder, Colorado. Boulder, Colorado has seen great change in it's culture over the last few decades with Liberalism becoming the norm in most of it's school systems. This example is rather typical of some of the changes the left sees as "Progressive". One of the scheduled speakers for that night was Joel Becker, a Los Angeles clinical psychologist, Dr. Becker started his speech to high school students with this sentence, "I'm going to encourage you to have sex, and I'm going to encourage you to use drugs appropriately," Joel went on to say, "And why I am going to take that position is because you're going to do it anyway." This is typical left-wing thought, agree or not, this is a left wing position, that some things are unavoidable, so therefore we should accept it and not even try to discourage it while doing our best to assure that the children do it safely. Dr. Becker went on to say that children should be encouraged to experiment with masturbation, homosexuality, group sex and drugs to enhance the experience. It should be noted here that the Conference was mandatory and that no opposing point of view was given. It should also be pointed out that some of the students were below the age of consent and that the drugs he was encouraging the students to use "appropriately" were illegal. The very worst part of all this was that it was defended by the school administration.

Now, there is an important lesson here that every one should be aware of. On University campuses, advocates are very proud of their efforts to represent oppressed groups. The problem is; as people become more and more accepting of different cultures, sexualities, and ethnic groups, it leaves these people looking harder and harder for anyone to represent. Advocacy groups and the people who lead them enjoy their power, should their goal be met, they certainly are not going to disband their groups and go about their business. A good example is MADD, (Mothers Against Drunk Driving), when it was originally formed, their goal was to toughen drunk driving law. The woman who originally formed the group left several years ago when she felt the group had met it's goal, but the people in MADD weren't about to give up their power, connections, and profitable positions, so they continued on without her to push for more and more drinking laws that can only have one conclusion; the outlawing of alcohol completely. It is the same with these people. As homosexuality becomes more accepted, these people will have no choice but to move on to the next taboo, and the next taboo will be child-adult sex. They will argue, as they already have, that it is our Judea-Christian upbringing that is the cause of us being morally against child-adult sex. They will argue that "Age of Consent" is debatable and they will push to have it lowered and lowered. They will position themselves as being "Progressive" and "Open minded" and those against it as intolerant and oppressive. They will, as they already have, use questionable data designed to further their agenda, and just as MADD's end result can only be the outlawing of alcohol, they're end result can only be the elimination of all judgment and morality. There is a fight over the morality of this country and it is being fought by the left through philosophy and psychology. I'm willing to have that debate because I know I'm on the side of protecting children and being the kind of responsible father, grandfather and citizen that this country needs. I will judge and I invite people to judge me. To the scum-bag people who are now pushing for the acceptance of Child-Adult sex through psychology I give this piece of advice; "Psychologist, heal thy self." H.C.





11 comments:

slade said...

talk about depressing.

i would point out that you yourself have cautioned about the dishonesty inherent in dehumanizing an entire group (in this case, an entire discipline) in order to villify it. i don't think it's the field of psychology or the state of being a psychologist, but rather the underlying ideological lens through which certain individuals approach their crafts, that is at fault in situations like these.

i'm sure, were you to take a survey of americans in the psych profession, most would take issue with the claim that sexual encounters have no adverse effect on children (what with the plethora of evidence to the contrary and all).

nevertheless, it's a disconcerting trend you've chosen to highlight in this post, and one we as a responsible society shouldn't be dismissive towards.

The H.C. said...

Hey Slade,
I guess a better title would have been, "Are Some Psychologists Losing Their Minds?" I certainly did not intend to portray ALL psychologists as promoting this kind of garbage. Some Psychology Profs that I know are extremely moral and intelligent, so I apologize if it seemed I was lumping them together. (Something that I don't advocate) As far as these types of positions being unique to Psychologists, I was only trying to convey how they are being used by people who support these agendas, I'm sure MABLA (sp?) has good representation from all professions...... unfortunately. Thanks for your thoughts.

slade said...

let me apologize for my accusatory tone... i only recently found this blog, and i am already a fan. but i have a sometimes-inconvenient tendency to question everything, so this probably won't be the last time you'll hear from me.

:)

Anonymous said...

H.C.
You have hit the nail of the head . I majored in Pyschology at one of collgeges here in town. All the people I met in the Clinical/Community program were engaged in the activity you named,trying to study themselves.
I also worked 9 years as volunteer Probation caseworker in Genesee County and alot of my cases also involved child sexual abuse,too many in fact.I would say roughly 80% of the cases had some element of sexual abuse connected to them.
The children I worked with who were abused sexually KNEW they were being wronged,they didn't have to be told that they were.It was not a matter of being judge from outsiders they knew that what they were going through was wrong,the felt it was wrong.And that anger,that hurt causes immeasurable problems to them. I am not saying that is totally impossible for them to learn to deal with sexual abuse,but it is a obstacle they SHOULD NOT have to deal with at all.
I really fear living in a society in which our alleged "experts' try to find ways to wave off sexual abuse to children.
I have to say thanks H.C. ,thanks for still being morally outraged.It is a dying idea in this Realitivistic culture.

The H.C. said...

Hey Slade,
No harm, no foul. Question away. It's the only way I can be sure my opinions are valid and that I can defend them. Besides, if you hang out here very long, you'll see everyone will challenge me at some point. Sorry I was slow to respond, I was on vacation and just got back, but welcome aboard, we're glad to have you.

The H.C. said...

Hey John,
Being outraged is one thing you can always count on from me. I let my happy-go-lucky exterior disarm people when my true persona (as you know)is a rebel who wants people to accept their responsibility toward each other and come out of their property lines and cubicles and say, "I'm mad as Hell and I'm not taking it any more." We are a small army, but the talent, decency, and intelligence we have will overcome Narcissism and Relativism. I really believe with all my heart that they fear the debate, which is why they try so hard to restrict free speech. BTW, Love your show, If any of you haven't seen Studio1714, check it out, John and his co-anchor Steve will keep you laughing and thinking at the same time.

Anonymous said...

HC, WOW! As an overcomer of childhood sexual abuse at the hand of my father, I can attest to the fact that there is in fact great harm done. Thanks for the voice of reason

The H.C. said...

Hey Anonymous,
I'm so sorry to hear you had to suffer such a terrible thing. The hardest part is that everyone sees a little of their parents in themselves. It's especially bad when parents do these things to their own children. It not only robs them of their innocence but also their self-esteem. It's amazing to me to hear the kind of things that can be backed up by trash research; that kids don't need a father, that molestation only hurts kids because we don't accept it, that same-sex parenting is every bit as good as mixed gender parenting. I'm always willing to listen to their arguments, but I have a very hard time accepting their research, especially when I've seen so much evidence to the contrary. Thanks for commenting, it proves my point tenfold. Remember, you didn't do anything wrong, someone just took advantage of your innocence.

TABOR said...

Crazy stuff man. I can't believe there were actually professors in the U.S. that were encouraging pedophiles. It seems like rather than trying to add to the post-trauma of child sexual abuse they would have been better served to either try to help the children that have already been abused. Or if they were really excited about this trash then they should have went to some 3rd world hellhole of a country that condones this and did studies on those children. It's disgusting that something so terrible could actually be accepted in a civalized society like the U.S.
As for Boulder Colorado, I don't really have a problem with this stance. I think people should enjoy their youth and experiment with drugs and alcohol. Also to have sex (with protection). Sex, Drugs, and Drinking are all really fun things to do. I bet that 95% of the kids that buy into the theory of the speaker will have a blast in their high school and college years by doing exactly what kids have done since the dawn of time. But the 5% that something bad happens to the religios nuts will jump on that and point to it as being terrible even though the overwhelming majority will benefit for it. I've always been a big believer that you need to do what's best for the population, and you can't let a few bad seeds ruin for everyone else.
I also don't think homosexuality or group sex will lead to the acceptance of pedophelia. I have heard that so many times and I'm starting to wonder were you and all these religious fanatics are coming up with this shit. It's the same bullshit approach that if we allow gay marriage then marrying animals will be next. I highly doubt that. It's just a fear based approach that religions have thrived with since they gained power. I actually really enjoyed this post, but I love playing Devil's Advocate. Even when I agree with you 100%, I still like to keep my debating senses sharp, I know that you're the same way so don't hate on Big Tabes. See ya H.C.

The H.C. said...

Hey Tabor (or Big Tabes if you prefer),
I really don't have any problem with you or anyone else having that point of view, I'm really a bit of a Social Liberatarian myself. However, when your preaching your point of view to impressionable kids, be it left or right, you should make sure both sides are represented. Imagine if this was a forum portraying homosexuality as evil with no counterpoint. I'm sure that wouldn't be excepted and it shouldn't be. Once again this is an example of the left doing what they used to accuse the right of doing; being closed-minded to any view other than their own. Nice to see you back Tabor, I missed our debates.

TABOR said...

That is true and that's a very good point. Someone like me that considers himself a moderate shouldn't condone only one side of such an important topic and not allow the "other side of the aisle" a rubuttal. Luckily for the concerned parents Bill O'Reilly is taking the Boulder Colorado topic about as personal and serious as Lou Dobbs does with Illegal Immigration. And that's a good thing (even though I still hate O'Reilly probably more than any human being on the planet other than Paris Hilton) But at least it is something that found it's way into the mainstream media and can now be debated from both sides. I mean how dare Boulder only teach one side of an issue, that would be like if a Christian school was teaching it's students that Evolution is Evil and Condoms are the devil's work or something. And we all know that that doesn't happen. Right? Condescending comments aside, I do agree with your rebuttal. P.S. Hopefully I'll be getting a computer this weekend so I can actually start blogging again. Take care.