Saturday, July 28, 2007

THE CLOCK IS TICKING ON IRAQ

I've been a consistent supporter of staying in Iraq as long as we possibly can. It isn't that I've been that sure we can win, it's that I want to be sure we gave the innocent people in Iraq every opportunity to have a stable country. Unlike my Democrat counterparts (I consider myself an Independent.) I'm not ready yet to say that all is lost. But I will say it's starting to look pointless to continue fighting for people who won't, or can't, decide who's side they're on. I decided months ago to give General David Petraeus, the senior officer in Iraq, the time he asked for to implement his plan (The Surge) and see if it's working. September 15 is when he said he would know and I'm going to wait till then to decide what to do next. However, the clock is now ticking on my patience and it saddens me.

For over a year now I've been reading a blog called "Iraq the Model" written by two Iraqi men, Mohammed and Omar. Through out that year I've learned a lot about both of them; their love for cigars and patio barbecuing. And most importantly, their never-ending optimism that they will one day see a free and stable Iraq. Every time the conversation turned to the war, I couldn't help but feel their presence. Often I would wonder how they felt about some of the attacks near their home of Baghdad, or how they viewed the Americans after a blunder. Then, In tag-team style, they would explain in their blog their emotions, their fears, and their hopes. One day I noticed a strange thing would happen as I waited for their next posting. I would find myself being worried that something may have happened to them. Why weren't they posting? It's been days, what going on? Then a post would appear and I would breathe a sigh of relief. I am quite sure that because of them, I have a better understanding of what it's like to be an innocent person in Iraq watching the world outside trying to drag you in. And I guess I've come to view them as friends, even though they haven't a clue who I am.

I've tried to get some of my more Liberal friends to read their blog, or even one of the dozens that they link to. Yet as of now, I don't think one of them ever has. I've tried to rationalize why they wouldn't want to know what it's like from an Iraqi's prospective as opposed to some pre-chewed story. The closest I can get to an explanation is that it would be harder to walk away from someone, if you felt you knew them.

Which leads me to why it saddens me to have to say my patience is running out. I feel like I should have to say to both of them," I'm sorry Mohammed and Omar, but I'm running out of arguments when I'm so in the minority. I know that you fear that everything will erupt into violence far exceeding what you've seen so far if we leave. I know you fear for your family, yourself, and for Iraq, but we can't fight forever." To turn and walk away when you know it could hurt a friend seems so heartless, so self-absorbed, and frankly, that's just not me. The Iraqi people themselves did nothing to deserve the mess we've brought upon them, and to even think this isn't our fault is like denying slavery was our fault. My only hope is that somehow General Petraeus will save the day and his plan will work. Hopefully, the innocent Iraqi people will say enough is enough and join in his attempt. But with the war becoming increasingly unpopular, with elections coming in '08, with Democrats and now even some Republicans calling for withdraw, it's looking like the clock is ticking for Iraq. And also for my innocent friends, Mohammed and Omar. H.C.
P.S. I'm also posting a poem on my Myspace with sympathy to all the people in Iraq.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi H.C. :)

Great piece and poem!

However pursuant to: "Executive Order: Blocking Property of Certain Persons Who Threaten Stabilization Efforts in Iraq".
Signed by Bush on July 17, 07,
I am not able to comment on the war since I am in opposition to it. And I certainly do no not want my property or assets (blocked).

Take care my man.

Rod Ryker...

The H.C. said...

Hey Rod,
It's a little off subject, but I recently listened to a show on the radio that addressed the same Executive Order your referring to. I found it a little disturbing that this President (Or the next President) can basically decide your a threat to the war effort (maybe just because you critizing him/her) and have you arrested or your property seized. The act of seizing property in any situation should disturb all of us. On some level your going to get the government seizing innocent people's property to balance the budget or to save someone's job. Crime enforcement is SUPPOSED to cost us money, that's what keeps us focused on real crime instead of filling our prisons with people for every little thing. Thanks for your comments Rod.

Anonymous said...

Hi H.C. :)

Ummm, yeah! Agreed with everything you said, but...

LOL!

You forgot the MOST important thing that you esp. advocate!
And that is, George Bush has (quashed) FREE SPEECH!

And H.C., those Executive Orders
carry far more weight right now than an Act passed by Congress.
Because we are in a (State of National Emergency) and eventhough Congress did not declare one as the Constitution demands, the prez., himself, can declare one and suspend the whole or parts of the Constitution.
This all goes back to 1934 and prez. FDR. He's the bastard that started it all.

In othere words, Bush IS a King.
They are only (pretending) that the Constitution is still in effect. Why?, 'cause we have too many guns.

Take care my man.

Rod Ryker...

The H.C. said...

Hey Rod,
Well, I did make a small reference to free speech; "maybe just because your critizing him/her." but your right, it does have frightning implications. G.W.'s father was also a big fan of reducing rights under the guise of protecting us. Remember the "War on Drugs" ? Like father, like son. We should be demanding "Sunset provisions" on any of these intrusions so that there can be debate about whether or not they work and whether they are being used as they were intended. I worry a lot about the Patriot Act now being permanent. There's no longer a fear of using it however they want.

Anonymous said...

When I first read that you were still supporting the war I wanted to laugh because I think you're about the only American left on the planet outside of the Bush Administration and John Mcain that still are beating that dead horse. After reading some various posts on "Iraq the Model" I can surely empathize with what the Iraqi civilians have had to put up with and it's truely heartbreaking. However, I was never in favor of going to Iraq from day 1, so my patience on the subject has been eroded into pure disgust and callousness towards that entire part of the world. The Iraqi troops have no interest in forming a true army. It's a waste of time. I also think when you're dealing with so many religious fanatics you can never have a democracy. There needs to be an Iron-Fisted dictator like Saddam over there. As long as the prime objective for the radicals is to kill the nearest Sunni, Shiite, or Jew we can never expect peace over there. It's just a shame that those radicals have to ruin it for the innocent people like Mohammed and Omar. Just because their country is fucked up, doesn't mean we need to continue to drag our tax payers and troops through this unwinnable cesspool.

Andre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andre said...

I'm at a lost for this Iraq situation. I think I'm literally Iraqqed-out. Obviously, not the same extent as the people who experience this sh*t first hand everyday. But I'm sick of how the U.S. is failing (yeah, I said it) and how U.S. soldiers are dying in vain (yeah, I said that too). I say leave Iraq, bring the troops home; along with any Iraqis that are sick of the bullsh*t too. Leave that chaos for people who want to radicalize Islam and blow themselves up.

As you can tell, my disdain for this entire situation puts to rest any possibility of me forming a logical response.

The H.C. said...

Hey Tabor,
I'm glad you took the time to read "Iraq the Model". It has given me a lot of insight into their thinking. Unfortunately, there has to be an end to all this.
I sincerely hope the Iraqi people are ready because the end is definately coming.

The H.C. said...

Hey Dre,
The thing that worries me about leaving is; Who will be the Pol Pot of Iraq and how many people will die when we leave. Then comes the question of how much war in the middle of the area we get all our oil from will we tolerate before we go right back in? There are a lot of questions and just as we failed to look hard enough at the aftermath of the invasion, are we looking hard enough at the aftermath of leaving? Once again, I guarantee there will be finger pointing on why we weren't prepared for what's to come. Sigh, no wonder your sick of it.

Anonymous said...

I, & apparently many others, am so sick of Iraq that I've become rather apathetic to the situation. I'm not involved in the discussion groups/forums anymore, I read every article in the newspaper/online *except* those concerning Iraq, and like Andre, am in the position as to where I am virtually incapable of "forming a logical response" on the subject. Hand out fliers or raise a picket? Please, we both know that it'd be a complete waste.

It's a shame too. I used to follow every bit of information pertaining to this on a daily basis, from a large variety of sources no less, but the "Iraq Situation" began to appear to be chasing it's own tail. Just how many times have you read the headlines stating "Largest Day of U.S. Casualties to Date" followed by some "new" course of action being implemented a few days later....AND THEN REPEAT (over & over again)?

It's a bloody joke. Literally & figuratively. And unfortunately too much of the U.S. pop. has fallen for it.

-n

The H.C. said...

Hey Nic,
I couldn't agree more that the War seems to be stuck in a cycle. We attack, they disappear and it appears we're making headway, then they reappear somewhere else as deadly as ever. I'm finding myself increasingly cynical about our chances of any success. I'm now concerned mostly about what happens next. Hopefully, the threat has been exaggerated. The stakes are very high. Thanks for contributing!

Anonymous said...

A bit of an addendum. I've been thinking of this since I read, & replied to your piece.

An excerpt from a semi-anonymous blogger:

"The problem is that we don't even know if we'll ever see this stuff again. We don't know if whatever we leave, including the house, will be available when and if we come back. There are moments when the injustice of having to leave your country, simply because an imbecile got it into his head to invade it, is overwhelming. It is unfair that in order to survive and live normally, we have to leave our home and what remains of family and friends… And to what?"

The blogger, Riverbend, hasn't been heard from since she wrote this in April.

-n