Tuesday, February 12, 2008

DATING DEMI, AGAIN

Every once in a while I feel the need to stretch a little in my writing. For those of you that would rather I stick to the serious side, just skip over this one. I really only write them to try to become a better writer, and besides..it's fun.

*WARNING*

This piece contains sexually explicit material not suitable for young children and some Republicans.

"Oh, my God, that was great!" I said , falling onto my back. "That wonderful day in Washington, Kansas, and Louisiana! Then, just when I thought it couldn't get any better, now a perfect day in Maine. It felt like...,like old times." Demi just stood up, putting her shirt back on first.

"What?" I questioned.

"You know what." she shot back, obviously irritated.

"Oh, come on!" I pleaded. "Can't we just live for the moment here? I thought that was what you were all about." I really don't think I should have said that last part as it looked like it just irritated her more.

"Remember what it was like H.C?" she said as she sat back on the bed, her face suddenly cooling. "Remember how you took me home that first voting day one cold November? Remember how proud your working class parents were? And what about your friends...our friends? Didn't they all like me? Everything was going perfect and then you left. What wasn't I giving you, H.C.?"

"I don't know." I lied.

The truth is, when I first started dating Demi way back when I was 18, everything did seem perfect. She believed in everything that I believed in; legal marijuana, an end to the war, and a soft landing should I lose my job. Back then, nothing else seemed all that important. But as I grew I began to feel her restraints. At times it felt like she didn't want me to achieve, she wanted me to rely on her for food, for work, and for power. In her effort to comfort me I began to feel smothered.

"It's because I started dating minorities isn't it?" she asked.

"No, I understood that they needed us and we needed them." I answered.

"Was it the Gay thing? Because I was only experimenting." she said, her cheeks flushing a little. "No," I said, "I was cool with that, but I didn't understand the need for the whole 'Marrying' thing."

That irritated look suddenly reappeared on her face. "Oh, I see, marriage is only for the privileged few." she said scornfully.

"Look, we both have had our differences." I said, hoping to retreat a little. "Let's focus on the now. The new guy looks good with you and I'm supporting him."

She thought that over for a minute, her face turning to a open window. "You know, I'm committed to someone else." she whispered.

"I know" I replied, putting my hands on her shoulders, "But, you could leave her! You could make up your own mind and give the people who they want. Follow your own principles, be the girl I once loved. We could win this thing together, it would be like it used to be, me and you against the forces of evil."

She continued staring out the window for a long few seconds, her face firmed. "You don't know what your asking," she said. "I've been with her for a very long time and she's not exactly the forgiving type. And by the way, how do I know that this isn't just a trick? We've seen this before. White guy votes for the black guy in the primary and then runs back to the white guy in the main election? No. I have to stay where I am, with her." She stood up and reached down for her pants. Pulling them up, she turned toward me. "Still, it was fun," she said, half smiling. "And I'll be seeing you in D.C., Maryland and Virginia. Maybe then, things will be different."

"I hope so." I sighed. She opened the door and stepped halfway into the hallway. Then, stopping as if she remembered something, she turned back towards me.

"I really hope to see you this fall, H.C." she said sweetly.

"It all depends on who you're with," I replied.

3 comments:

Andre said...

The moral of this story is simple: Sex is the apparently the only answer to politically irreconcilible differences. But the secret is: you have to keep it going. Lord knows nobody wants to deal with "the morning after."

Andre said...

Hippie, I'm curious to read chapter 2. You know: the part where you started having a steamy affair with Republa; the spoiled, stubborn, arrogant, rich, and religious nutcase from West Texas.

The H.C. said...

@Dre,
O.K., O.K., so someone told you about that drunk night in '94. Sheeesh, everyone makes a mistake Andre.