Saturday, March 1, 2008

A STRANGE WEEK FOR OBAMA, CLINTON, AND MCCAIN

A lot of people ask me, "H.C., how can you be so involved in something as boring as politics." Well, in times like these, politics can be as suspenseful as a horror flick or as funny as any sitcom. This week has been a good example. I swear, I couldn't think up situations as funny and strange as what has been happening this past week. With the "Super Tuesday 2" votes coming up this March 4th (Ohio, Texas, Vermont, and Rhode Island are voting) you would expect a few desperate attacks. Obama and Clinton are in a death struggle with Clinton fearing even more calls for her to step down if she can't rack up either Texas or Ohio. I don't know if Hillary will call it quits as long as she wins something. Her desperate clinging to the nomination reminds me of the NRA's motto "when you pry it from my cold, dead hands." Regardless, if she loses both states, I believe she will have to step down. The DNC can't afford a protracted fight while McCain takes shots from the sidelines. So, with that setup, let's take a look at the past week.

In a desperate attempt to align Barack with Muslim beliefs, someone (my guess is Camp Clinton) released this photo of Barack in Muslim garb while visiting Somali. Of course, lots of politicians find themselves in some strange traditional gear out of respect for their guests so this isn't really unique. Barack is hardly the first, nor will he be the last. However, I am seeing more and more sites and e-mails claiming that Obama is secretly a Muslim, even though he isn't. (I'm going to cover these rumors as soon as I get a chance). I guess I should say here that it's also possible that the RNC is behind these rumors, they would, after all, benefit from a long drawn out DNC fight.) The funny part of this story is that the Somalian Government is now suing Hillary (I kid you not) and if they win, they want to be paid by her in livestock. Is it possible they don't trust Hillary enough for a check?
The funniest part of this past week though, has to be all the endorsements.
John McCain got the endorsement of talk show host Bill Cunningham who then went into a tirade against Barack where he repeatedly emphasized Barack's middle name "Hussein" when referring to the Senator. After outrage was expressed by the Obama camp, McCain then denounced the comments by Mr. Cunningham and his support. Mr Cunningham then, in turn, withdrew his support for McCain saying that he was used. My guess? It depends on if McCain told him to emphasize Barack's middle name.

Barack has had his own problem with endorsements this week. First he was endorsed by, of all people, the KKK. Humorously, the Klan claims that even a "Negro" is better than Hillary. (I can never get the enumeration of their 'hate list' straight. Is it now; #1 Jews #2 Hillary #3 Blacks?) Wow, what's next, the KKK endorsing a Catholic? I'm guessing that Obama wasn't that thrilled with an endorsement from the "dunce hat" wearing crowd. But a vote is still a vote. To add to Obama troubles, he was then endorsed by Louis Farrakhan, the nutty black activist who claims that he was taken on a "Vision Experience" where he flew on a UFO. Farrakhan also regularly spouts anti-Semitic rhetoric, and Obama is having enough trouble getting any support from Jews without help from Farrakhan. To complete the misery for Barack, he was then forced by Ms. Clinton during the Democrat debates to "Reject and Denounce" the support of Mr. Farrakhan. Myself, I'd rather hear Ms. Clinton "Reject and Denounce" the support of the Health Care Lobbyists that are backing her campaign. But I'm not holding my breath.

Hillary's endorsements, by the way, haven't changed over the past week. It's still people who have no problem with a Monarchy, Democrats that loved her husband and actually believe he'll have any say at all, and lobbyists. Oops, I almost forgot, and people who think that the most important qualification our next President should have is a vagina.

This next Tuesday should be a make or break day for Hillary. I'm sure she'll be throwing everything she has at Barack so don't count her out yet. Expect to see a last minute accusation by Hillary the evening of Monday, March 3rd when it will be hard for Barack to respond in time. My guess is that Barack Obama will end up being the clear winner in Texas and it will be close in Ohio. Barack has been getting a percentage of the vote about 7% higher than the polling has shown, so I believe his chances in Ohio are better than the pundits think. My last minute advice to Barack? Hint at Bill Richardson becoming your V.P., It might be just the boost you need from the Hispanics to put Hillary out. In fact, I think Bill would make an excellent choice for V.P.. Just a thought Barack, in case your reading. H.C.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hillary's endorsements, by the way, haven't changed over the past week."

Meh. If you don't consider any of growing number of super-delegates defecting away from her camp, then yeah, no change. ;)

On another note, I like Bill Richardson. I really do. He's light-hearted & seems uncannily down-to-earth for a politician. However, I think hinting @, or even choosing him as a VP would be perceived to be (& rightfully so) contrary to Obama's entire "Change" philosphy. Picking up a VP merely for votes would raise the brows of many who believe in, or @ least have some vestige of hope in what he's campaigning for. Also (& I'm not about to conduct the research that would be required to prove this), haven't the vast majority of previous party-nominated candidates chosen a VP whom was not a pre-nomination competitor?

Just as there are most certainly better Presidential prospects out there who aren't in the current field, there's probably a better VP pick or two as well. My bet is that if Obama ends up getting the nod from the dems, the VP will be somebody that most Americans haven't even heard of.

Still a ways to go though, but that's my 2¢. :)

-n

The H.C. said...

Hey Nic,
"If you don't consider any of growing number of super-delegates defecting away from her camp, then yeah, no change."

Good point, I guess I have to concede that.

"haven't the vast majority of previous party-nominated candidates chosen a VP whom was not a pre-nomination competitor?"

I didn't do the research either, but I can tell you that John Edwards was Kerry's V.P. pick, and also ran, Gore was Clinton's pick and he also ran, G.H.W.Bush was Reagan's pick and he also ran, so at least recent history points toward a fellow nominee seeker. For the record Cheney was not. (this is from my tattered memory but I believe it's accurate.) The whole point of the V.P. slot is to enhance the ticket. If your from the north, he's from the south. It's also used to eleviate people's concerns about some of your stands (John Cherry was brought into the Granholm ticket to counter anti-gun, anti-hunter fears) Barack is from Illinois so he needs a Southerner, Bill Richardson is from New Mexico. Barack is hard against guns, Richardson has an "A" rating from the NRA. Barack polls badly with Hispanics, Richardson is Hispanic and sweeps that group in elections.As far as the "change philosophy", Richardson is a Governor and they are usually viewed as outside of Washington politics, so I don't think it would hurt Obama's message of change. Great questions! I'm not sure who Barack will pick, but "hinting" that Bill Richardson is on the short list would help Obama, I believe. Notice that McCain is now "hinting" that he may pick a woman as his V.P.. This is unfortunately how the game is played.

lime said...

holy moses on a pogo stick, i had read or heard all of this except the KKK endorsement of obama! that is just mind-bendingly bizarre. this whole thing just gets curioser and curioser. what rabbit hole did i slip down?

i still don't know who i'd vote for but i can say this....if hillary hasn't conceded in the next 2 weeks i will be registering as a democrat just so i can vote AGAINST her in the PA primary. the day after the primary i will go back to being unaffiliated. of course, i may need to go through some sort of ritual cleansing for even having declared a party at all for even 2 weeks time. *shudders.

The H.C. said...

Hey Lime,
LOL, You may even have to go through some kind of rehab after 2 whole weeks. Like I said, I don't think Hillary will give up, so you might want to plan on voting. At some point the DNC is not going to be too happy with her what with McCain almost for sure locking up the RNC side tomorrow. Thanks as always for your input.

Anonymous said...

I'm not one for spamming anybody w/ silly links, but this is so very worth it.

The Falling Hillary

(Don't forget to click on her to guide her....pain?)

You're welcome. ;)

-nic

lime said...

don't know if you've ever wandered over my way and you are certainly under no obligation to do so but i have posted a rare political rant expanding on my things i've said in comments here. ;)

The H.C. said...

Hey Lime,
I wasn't even aware that you did any blogging or I would have checked it out sooner! Your a very talented writer and I'll try to stop by as often as I can. Between the Studio 1714 bits, writing this blog, babysitting my grandkids and trying to have some element of a life outside (I love nature, it recharges me) I don't have as much time as I would like to visit my friends though. For that, I apologize to everyone.

The H.C. said...

*H.C. darts Tabor with a tranquilizer so he'll chill out*

Hey Tabor,
Wazzup my friend. I agree that it's never really going to change drastically no matter who you elect. But in this election, there is a much larger issue for me than who gets elected...it's ending a duel dynasty. Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton, it's getting maddening. The Dems spend all their time and effort trying to get one another and pay each other back for the last time around. And when do they get around to solving OUR problems? Never. There is now over 100 Congressional investigations going on over the Bush Administration. All for the cheerleaders in the Democratic Party who have so mindlessly been taught to hate Bush as if he's the only reason this country is in such a mess. Most all of our REAL problems have been around for decades. Massive Debt, (both our country and our personal finances) S.S.I. being flooded by the people who see it as the new welfare, Social Security and Medicaid in shambles. Thousands of people on the verge of retiring with NO IRA's, NO pensions, and your generation being left with the bill. These problems didn't just materialize under Bush. They've just been passed forward every since Nixon. Who's fault is it really that people think they have to have the best of everything even when they can't afford it? We have people below the poverty line who have new lease cars, cell phones, laptops and big screen T.V.'s. Marriage is a now viewed as unnecessary and our Social systems are swamped with single Mom's looking for help all in the name of narcasism and self-indulgence. The Government's fault? No, I'm sorry Mike, but these problems will continue no matter who's in office because we refuse to look ourselves in the mirror or deny ourselves anything in the name of our children's future. Until that day comes we will continue on this Hell-Bound Train no matter who's running the Country. And that's my rant.