Saturday, June 14, 2008

BO BLUE

I wrote this article in the fall of 2006. It was part of the grieving process for me and I never intended for it to be read by anyone other than my closest friends. Because of the sensitive nature of my job, I've kept my references to the University of Michigan to the bare minimum. My union contract along with the University's Standard Practice Guide forbids me acting as a representative of the U of M in any way. For that reason, I've found it safer to simply not refer to my place of work by name. After reviewing our Conflict of Interest Guide and Standard Practice Guide, I've decided that this piece could only be seen for what it is; admiration for a great man. For that reason I'm going to publish it as I wrote it in my grief. I hope it gives you what knowing Bo gave me, insight into what makes a truly great person and leader.

Bo Blue
I don't know much about college football, or any sport for that matter. I'm completely spellbound by people who can rattle off stats or have an intelligent conversation about "brackets" or "double elimination", to me they may as well be talking in tongues. I do however love watching people who love sports. I'm encouraged by their passion and comradery. If only I could inspire people to be so driven toward making this world a better place, all our troubles would be over. I do have one thing going for me that keeps my sports-fan friends from laughing at me nonstop, I know Bo Schembechler.At least I used to know him, Bo died in the fall of 2006.
I met Bo in the course of my job at the University of Michigan as a courier. Part of my job is to deliver sensitive materials for the upper echelon of the "U" and sometimes I had things for Bo to autograph for alumni or personal correspondence. The first time I met Bo he had just gotten a new secretary. She sat at the beginning of a long hall like a guard dog at a big desk. I approached her and told her I had an important "Hand Delivery" for Bo but if she was his secretary, she could sign for it herself. She sneered at me and hissed, "Mr. Schembechler doesn't have a secretary, but his office is just down the hall." and then pointed down a row of doors. I scanned each door's nameplate until I came to Bo's and then knocked lightly. In that gruffy well-known voice he said,"Com' in,"and I slowly opened the door. I told him my business and handed him his envelope and my clipboard to sign while trying to act nonchalant. He glanced up at me kind off squinty-eyed and asked me, "How'd you get passed my secretary?" I asked him if that was the lady at the desk? He replied "Yes" and I told him that she told me he didn't have a secretary. He then grumbled, "Goddamnit, she won't answer to anything other than 'administrative assistant'..... what's this world coming to?" I laughed and said, "I'm not sure, but I don't think it's getting any better."
I don't know why, but he took a shine to me and took to calling me "Tiger". Maybe because he couldn't remember my name, but it didn't matter, he could have called me "Shit bucket". He was, after all, Bo Schembechler, and I knew enough to know he was an icon. Football season would have me making regular pilgrimages to his office with pictures or footballs for him to sign for alumni. He was always friendly, the sort of a guy that wasn't content to just say "Hi". He would shake your hand firmly and smack your shoulder with the other hand. He was a man's man. The kind of guy who was more comfortable not watching his tongue or worrying about niceties.... at least that's how I saw him. He would even sign things for me if I wanted him to, although I only asked him a couple of times. I didn't want him thinking that I was doing it for anyone but my closest personal friends. I never even asked him for one for myself, something I now regret.
My great place in U of M history is that I delivered Bo's retirement papers to the University President. I didn't know it at the time and only after it became common knowledge that Bo was leaving did I find out from the University President's secretary (I mean administrative assistant) that Bo had requested me personally to deliver his paperwork. I now understand why some people are born leaders. The fact that Bo trusted me with something like that when any newspaper would have killed for that story made me swell up with pride. After that I would not let Bo down. I would have stormed through a Gay Parade, pushed over PETA demonstrators, or even risked a confrontation with the dreaded Feminist Gay Nazis for Christ to get Bo's work delivered.
Even after Bo left the University he still kept an office there. Every once in a while I would bump into him and he would always greet me with "Hey there, Tiger." and take the time for small talk. I never once felt that I was beneath him in any way. I always referred to him as "Coach" because to me he was the University's "Coach", a title that couldn't be taken away merely by replacing his position. I know for some of you this column may look like a little name dropping. That 'ol H.C. just wants himself to seem important because he met Bo a few times. It's not that that way at all. It's just that I wanted all of you U of M fans out there to know something about Bo that you didn't know before. You already knew that Bo loved football, that he loved U of M, and that he was a hell of a coach, but what you didn't know that I'm telling you now is that Bo was kind to people he didn't have to be kind to. That he would take the time out of his busy life to make someone else feel important. These are the traits of a true leader. I may not know much about football, but I'm pretty good with people and I know a great leader when I see one..... Bo was that kind of a leader. He made me wish I could play football just so I could be on his team. At the University of Michigan we like to say that the true fans "Bleed Blue". Well I don't know if I qualify as a true U of M fan, but on Friday November 17, 2006 this fan "Cried Blue" not for the coach, but for the man. H.C.

3 comments:

lime said...

Bo was kind to people he didn't have to be kind to. That he would take the time out of his busy life to make someone else feel important. These are the traits of a true leader

That's all I need to know about the man to concur with your assessment. may he rest in peace.

The H.C. said...

Thanks Lime,
Even though I'm not a sports guy, I would have to say Bo Schembechler was a mentor to me. I can only imagine his impact on people who truly followed his career. Thanks for your thoughts, as always.

Anonymous said...

Well as you know, I am a huge sports guy, especially football. Bo and Michigan football were as big a part of my chldhood as He-Man action figures. The nationwide greatest rivalry in sports is Michigan vs. Ohio St. (It was actually voted #1 on Fox Sports a couple years ago) Bo vs. his former mentor Woody Hayes was the reason for it's intensity. I will always hold Bo in a higher regard than any other coach simply because Michigan football is what got me started on my passion for football. Football has easily been my my favorite thing in the world ever since. And it all started with Bo's no-nonsense approach to acheiving your goals regardless of the obstacles in your path. I really wish Michigan could have beat Ohio St. and went on to the National title game the day after Bo died November of 2006, but unfortunately Shawn Crable got a personal foul penalty for hitting the QB late setting up OSU for the winning field goal and they won 41-38.