Wednesday, August 20, 2008

2008 DEMOCRATIC CONVENTION; CATHARSIS OR CHAOS?

Hillary Clinton claims her supporters need a "catharsis", a healing, to get over their loss. To hear her tell it, it would seem that her supporters are the first in history to be disappointed and to have to deal with their candidate failing to meet their expectations. In an effort to placate her supporters, Barack Obama has agreed to allow Hillary's name to appear on the nomination at the convention and to be voted on. For Barack's people, or the DNC, to believe that Hillary's supporters will be pacified by losing yet again in a very public fashion seems insane to me.

At the DNC Rules and Bylaws meeting May 31st of this year, the dems gathered to decide what to do with Michigan's and Florida's suspended delegates, the mood could not have been any worse. Despite repeated attempts by the chairwomen to keep control, Hillary's supporters shouted out comments and disrupted the proceedings throughout. Any Democrats watching must have been embarrassed by the lack of class and decorum exhibited by some of their own. To expect that the DNC convention will be any less chaotic seems naive at best. My prediction is that at least on Wednesday, the day the V.P. nomination takes place, you can expect much of the same if not worse.
How the DNC thinks this will lead to a catharsis is beyond my thinking.

The problem the Democrats have, and will continue to have, is that they have to explain to a group of very pissed off Hillary Fem-bots how it is completely fair to have one group win out over the other. Democrats sub-groups have been taught by the DNC all their political lives that any loss is the direct result of some prejudice, not the result of one group doing a better job of representing their point of view. Is it any wonder then that a women that every single pundit (including me) thought would win the democratic nomination hands down, now tries to blame misogyny and sexism as the cause of her downfall. This despite the fact that her own chief campaign strategist, Mark Penn, said in a recently released memo that Obama, "Couldn't win against Attila the Hun." It couldn't possibly be that they simply underestimated their opponent.

To make matters even worse, Obama has to try to pacify Hillary's supporters while choosing someone else as V.P.. This has as much of a chance of flying as Lead Zeppelin. While I'm sure Howard Dean will do everything in his power to keep everything under control, this convention will be sure to have Republicans grinning from ear to ear. H.C.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call me crazy (but not all at the same time. Sheesh...), but I think that Obama may have to select Hillspawn. That once dominating lead of his is about as thin as Nicole Ritchie. Getting those pissed off Hillspawn supporters on his side will help boast the numbers - and the states - necessary to pad his lead. I'm wondering if he's been subtly hinting at an Obama/Clinton ticket with some of his latest comments.

Whatever happens, I signed up on his site to get the email. I'm interested to see what happens.

And so the countdown begins...

Anonymous said...

Hillary and Bill do about faces. Ted Kennedy passes the torch. John Kerry grows a backbone. Joe Biden - the last person I'd expect - accepts the VEEP nomiation. Obama FINALLY goes on the offense.

A lot can happen in a week, eh?

The H.C. said...

Hey Dre,
Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been on vacation in the Great North Woods. What a bad time for me to be out-of-touch! I've been chomping at the bit to comment on all that's been happening. Joe Biden suprised me. I did figure it would have to be a white male if it wasn't Hill. It hard to see how Biden will help him much on the electoral side but maybe it'll satisfy some of the WASP's. Sarah Palin was far less of a suprise considering McCain's recent attempts to draw the Hill supporters.

TABOR said...

I was pretty suprised at both V.P. candidates. I think I have a little more respect for Biden than Palin. But then again I don't know shit about Palin. I never even heard of her until McCain picked her. It was such an obvious attempt to grab the Hill-Dog supporters. Man, democracy is such a damn joke anymore. Also, I'm blogging again. Feel free to stop on by. I think you might like the one about the "Deer of Nightmares". Are you still doing the online boadcast?

The H.C. said...

Hey Tabor,
I wasn't completely suprised by McCain's pick. In fact, I even said both here and on my radio show that I thought McCain may well pick Palin if Obama chose to go with a white male. Biden on the other hand was a shock. I don't understand what he brings to the table besides his foreign policy experience. I'll cover that better in my next piece. I'll stop on by and check out your writings. And yes, I'm still doing the internet radio thing at flinttalkradio.com. Stop on in and voice your opinions I'd love to have you call in with some of them famous Tabor rants!