Monday, August 31, 2009

NO TEARS FOR TED

First, I want to apologize for not keeping up with my usual one-post-a-week. I've been on a vacation this past week with my wife and I will be in Colorado from September 10th to the 20th mule deer and elk hunting with my unofficially adopted son, Aron. Those of you involved with PETA should say a prayer for those animals, I promise only as quick a kill as I can possibly deliver and to give the reverence and respect that all my prey deserves.

Secondly, I want to apologize for what I'm about to say about Ted Kennedy, but damn it, someone has to say it.

Senator Edward Kennedy died this week and for his service to this country (USA), he has my thanks. However, as most of you know by now, I'm not the kind of guy who believes that if you work in a mission or help the elderly it gives you forgiveness for what you've done in your past. To truly get forgiveness in my world you have to follow the three "R's" of asking forgiveness. First, you have to 'Recognize' what you have done wrong. That means coming completely clean about the details of your mistake and admitting you were wrong. Second, you have to 'Repent". That means you have to stop whatever it is that you were doing wrong and do it no more. And thirdly you have to 'Repair'. That means you have to make it up to whoever you did wrong. A good example is; you steal something from a store. You admit to the owner what you have done, then you ask his forgiveness and promise in return to never steel again (and you honor that pledge) and finally, you pay for what you stole and offer to do some work around the store to make up for your actions.

Ted Kennedy has not completed those three R's when it come to Chappaquiddick and the death of Mary Jo Kopechne.

For those of you unaware of what Ted did on that fateful night of July 18, 1969, let me remind you. Ted threw a party for what was know as the Boiler Room Girls (young girls who had worked on his brother Bobby's campaign). At the party, was a noticeable absence of the wives of any of the men in attendance, including Mr. Kennedy's. After several hours of drinking and carousing, Ted offered to drive young Mary Jo Kopechne home according to his own testimony. Upon reaching the bridge leading across a bay, Ted misjudged a turn and drove into the water flipping his car on it's back. Ted managed to get out of the car but poor Mary Jo was left to die. There are sooo many things wrong with the many versions of that night that Ted gave that I can't even list them all, but here are a few.

1) Despite the fact that the car was in only six feet of water, Ted claims he couldn't get Mary Jo out. This despite the fact that he got out himself (which means a door or a window was open) and was such a good swimmer that he claims to have panicked and then swam over 500 yards to the other side.

2)Ted waited until the next day to report the accident (after he discovered that the car had been found) , despite that he conferred with several people about the accident.

3)He used every one of his connections to attempt to silence the story and fought the release of his testimony.

It should be pointed out here that the rescue swimmer, John Farrar, later testified at the inquest that Kopechne's body was pressed up in the car in a spot where an air bubble would have formed and may have lived as long as two hours after the accident.

I know that this all happened a long time ago, and only God and Ted knows what truly happened on that night. But one thing is certain in my mind. Ted Kennedy never gave Mary Jo Kopechne's family or the American people the truth and he certainly never followed my three 'R' rule for forgiveness. Ted would routinely ask other Senators if they had heard any good Chappaquiddick jokes and even named his dog "Splash". Ted never took full responsibility for his actions and for that he get no tears from me. I save my tears for the victims of men in power like Ted Kennedy. It took all of you approximately 5 minutes to read this post. I want you to stop and think what it must have been like for Mary Jo to struggle for air for 24 times that, all while pinning her hopes on a man that she greatly admired and was certain would save her while he plotted how to save his own ass. A man who wouldn't even come clean on his death bed. H.C.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya HC. Fortunately, forty years later, even the lapdog media won't let this happen again.

Unless the drunken politician(s) happen(s) to run over a motorcyclist (even if they were wearing a helmet)....
http://www.amadirectlink.com/justice/am_articles/Harrison_column.asp

On a side note, I'm envious of your ability to hit the mountains for some elk/mulie hunting. It's been over ten years since I last hunted Wyoming (and filled my deer tage with an 8 pointer).

Anonymous said...

Sorry, here's the link:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/justice/am_articles/Harrison_column.asp

Anonymous said...

Guess it won't take the whole link, here's a two parter:

http://www.amadirectlink.com/justice/am_articles/
Harrison_column.asp

The H.C. said...

Hey Hack,
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I'm sorry you can't be with us on our trip, I know how the beauty of the mountains can get in your blood. Congrats on your mulie, is that western count(one side) or eastern?

Anonymous said...

That would be Eastern count. I downed it with a Winchester M70 in 30.06, shooting (IIRC) 165gr CoreLoc, at around 200 yards. I don't recall what the dressed weight was, but I did fill my freezer with it. And an empty section of my family room wall with the shoulder mount.

Wyoming DNR was interested in the animal (even took a sample for DNA testing), as it appeared to have a bit of White Tail mix. Big concern about the influx of white tails pushing the mulies out of their habitat.

We tent camped, in a USFS campground, where deer would run right past the tents/RVs. I was in better physical condition back then (jogging 8 miles every other day, gym, etc.), but it still kicked my arse humping up the mountain to get to the hunting areas. However, there's NOTHING like seeing and hearing a herd of elk runnng the ridges at 9,000 feet.

My next trip out west (when I retire for the second time) will be to one of those 'old guy' style outfitter camps. Where they 'pamper ya, in a rustic sorta way'.

The H.C. said...

Hey Hack,
Congrats, sounds like a nice deer. I couldn't agree more about watching elk in the beauty of the mountains. I can't wait to get back up there. I'll let you know how I did. Thanks for sharing your story.

Andre said...

Fortunately, HC (or unfortunately, depending on who you talk to), not everyone bases their acceptance of a person's shortcomings using your rubric. Some people apologize with words (fruitless in many cases); some people apologize with actions. Sometimes those actions don't directly address the situation; which could be unfortuate at times as well. But that decision is best left to the person/people most directly affected by Kennedy's wrongdoing. I'm not sure how much Ted's work over the years assuaged the anguish of the Kopechne family...which is obviously where the bulk of our attention should be focused. But it seems like many Americans affected by Kennedy's death forgave him. As I stated on my blog, had this dude did ANYTHING remotely nowadays, the media would have (and should have) been all over him; especially the conservative media. But if he (and any other elected officials immersed in scandalous behavior) make ammends by having a STELLAR career fighting for the Kopechnes of the world, atonement should be allowed.

By the way...if you make jerky, I want in. :)

The H.C. said...

Hey Dre,
To me, this is less about making atonement (although that would have been a good start)and more about hypocracy. Ted championed equality, but practiced elitism. Equal justice? Not if your a Kennedy. Just look at the Michael Skakel case (Ted's nephew) who killed Martha Moxley. I don't know how to just forget that Ted killed a woman, never came clean, used his position to hide the evidence, and then spent a lifetime espousing equal justice. It's as hypocritical as him commenting on waterboarding of all things.

Note to self- Make extra jerky for Andre:)

P.S. Check out the link Hack gave to see even more examples of our public "servants" skating away after killing people. BTW, I have a friend doing 20 to 48 years for killing a pedestrian while drunk. (He blew 0.11, the guy was getting his mail on a dirt road in the dark)