Thursday, April 5, 2007

TERRIBLE TOM


Under the Dragon's wings... it can be surprisingly warm

I can't even remember when I first met Tom. It seemed like he was part of my family since the start. I knew his brothers, his sisters, and his mom and dad. At one point I even made a move on his sister Molly, but it was too weird, we were like brother and sister and we both recognized it. My wife also knew the whole family, in fact, I think nearly everyone on the north end of Flint knew them in one way or another. They were great people. Every one of them seemed to have an inherent kindness about them. They were full of fun, laughter, and looking out for each other. To know them was to be part of their family, plain and simple.

But of all the kids that Marge and Will had, it was Tom that stood out. Tom was, simply put, crazy as a loon. Some people used to say he got that way over in Vietnam, where Tom was a Tunnel Rat, but my wife's brother knew Tom since he was a little kid and told me Tom was always crazy. He had stories about Vietnam that were right out of "Platoon". Stories of fragging (killing) superiors, raping villagers, watching people die and cutting ears off of North Vietnamese and trading them for pot. He stated everything like it was going to the store to buy a pop. He once told me, "There were two kinds of people in 'Nam, those that hated it and went crazy, and those that loved it and already were." There was no question in my mind which one Tom was.

Tom looked almost exactly like Charles Manson. His black hair was always in need of a comb, his clothes always looked like he slept in them, and his eyes displayed a sort of vacant, wild-eyed emptiness that shouted, "Don't ever, even think, about fucking with me." He stood all of about 5' 7", but I saw him back down people twice his size. To mess with Tom was to enter a duel to the death, and not many people wanted to go there. Once, in a fight, I saw Tom bite a man's finger off and then spit it at him. Tom was as far out there a person as I have ever known.

To know Tom though, was to know both sides of him. He could be extremely protective. No one messed with his friends or his family. He was a great singer, and he could be close to hysterical in his antics. Once, I was sitting with a couple of friends over "Spikehorn's" house drinking beer and watching football when Tom came walking through the door. He walked straight through without saying a word and went right out the back door. We couldn't figure out what the hell was going on until 5 or 6 minutes later when a pounding started on the front door. A Middle-Eastern Cab Driver started swearing at us in broken English demanding his fare for driving Tom across town. That's what life was like around Tom, you never knew what was going on, you just hung on for the ride.

For some strange reason, Tom liked me a lot. He was a lot older than me, so I think he saw me as a little brother. He would come over and pick me up and after lying to my mom or even my brothers about where we were going, he would head to the local liquor store for some Wild Turkey and then out to get whatever drugs we were doing for the night. I've often questioned myself as to why I would go out with Tom. The closest I can get to an answer is that I viewed Tom and myself as similar. Tom was an outcast who had a lot of drama in his life and so was I. I have never been able to think like other people and for a while I thought that maybe I was just crazy too. (I've since discovered that it's the rest of the world that's crazy.) Also, being Tom's friend was empowering. Even my oldest brother (who generally picked on me constantly) had to treat me a little different when I was with Tom. Having Tom for a friend was like having a real protective pet Dragon.
A night on the town with Tom meant that you had stories to tell the next day. Every single time, there was some adventure, most of which I can't even tell you about because I'm not sure the Statute of Limitations has expired. We would get completely trashed and then end up at people's houses that I didn't even know. Hookers, dealers, gay people, homeless people, Tom knew them all. After one night of partying a little too hard, I fell asleep in the back of Tom's car and woke up at The Mission (homeless shelter) with Tom looking down on me. He said," Get up boy, if we don't make morning mass, they won't feed us." We made our way to the chapel and sang religious songs, prayed and ate with the homeless. Tom, by the way, had a great voice. Somewhere between Ray Charles and Joe Cocker, his voice was a gravely gospel that still rattles in the back of my brain. He would sing "Whiskey River" every time he got drunk and made me do the harmonies. Tom taught me how to sing with soul, something I never forgot. It was his one great gift to me.

One day God decided that Tom had roamed the Earth for long enough. He had developed a sore throat that was so bad he went to the hospital where he got into a fight with some of the staff. They restrained Tom on a gurney and locked him in a room. In that room, alone for over 20 minutes, Tom's throat closed and God took him home.

The story of Terrible Tom is, like everything about him, a strange mixture. One part of me laughs at the adventures we had, one part is stunned that I could have been so crazy. At his funeral there was a strange feeling among all of his friends and family that God had simply had enough of Tom antics and took him because it was the only way to stop him. Looking back, I wonder what God would have thought about one of his children that was so obviously mentally ill. Would he have recognized that Tom wasn't in complete control of himself? Would he have forgiven him for his misdeeds? Tom was both kind and cruel, vicious and caring. Tom taught me that there is good and bad in all of us. He never looked down on anyone and loved people with his whole heart. Although I would never want to repeat the adventures I had with Tom, they make me laugh harder than anything I've ever done with anyone else. I can't sing a song without thinking of him, and sometimes, I fondly remember the times, when I had my very own...... pet Dragon. H.C.

18 comments:

Rev. said...

I love reading these stories, its like a reading the script to a south park episode. Crazy plot that makes you laugh, and in the end a moral message which would be over looked by most had you not pointed it out.

Another good post H.C.

heiresschild said...

hi HC, i was just talking about you on my blog. there's an award waiting for you over there.

Anonymous said...

Hey HC

I also very much enjoy these posts. They seem somehow real-er, more base than the others. I think maybe in your stories are the solutions to your other posts...

The H.C. said...

Hey Rev.,
I never realized I had so much in common with Stan, I always pictured myself more of a Cartman..without the evil. Thanks for the props!

The H.C. said...

Hi Heiress,
Usually when people are talking about me I get a little nervous, but it was a pleasant suprise to go to your site, especially considering the company you put me in. Thanks for the award...I'm honored.

The H.C. said...

Hey Will,
As I've said before, after doing a few political pieces, I feel the need to stretch a little. Doing these type of stories is the best way I know of to get the messages out without being too preachy. (which I'm sometimes guilty of) I'm glad you enjoy them.
P.S. I heard you weren't feeling too well, I hope your feeling better. You still owe me a debate.

Anonymous said...

Greetings, HC:

I am feeling better. Do not worry, I almost always pay my debts, and when I can't I declare bankruptcy.

You will get your debate. When can you come over?!

P.S. I was very sad not to get an award... HC? Andre? Help a brother out. ;0

P.P.S: I do think that if you can't stand the heat, stay out of Andre and HC blogs.

Anonymous said...

Please replace the winking shocked face with this one:

;)

TABOR said...

Man George you've had some crazy times!! I remember I used to love coming over as a kid and listening to your stories. You've had some wild friends and from the sound of it, you've outlived them all. I'm glad you're a survivor and are able to give us a glimpse into the duality of man and an inside look into the lives of people who otherwise would not be remembered very fondly. I'm sure Tom would appreciate the props. One of these days you're gonna have to post a blog about that Andy guy that saved your life and you named your son after. Take it easy guy-- Tabor

Andre said...

Another great post for the records, Hipster. I think that what I enjoy most about these types of posts (and, to an extent, even your political/social commentaries as well) is that you lead the reader through some surreal plot and then -- WHAM -- smack them sqaure in the head with some truth. Nice work, brother.

@ Will: I'm sorry brother. You don't pick enough online fights to win an award. *snickers*

The H.C. said...

Thanks Tabor,
As the Grateful Dead have said, "What a Loooooong strange trip it's been." That post you mentioned is on my list, I just need the inspiration. I'm glad to see you writing again, you have a talent, and it shouldn't be wasted.

The H.C. said...

Andre,
Thanks Dre, I keep hoping that with enough practice I'll be able to write as good as this fifth floor friend I have. Good advice you gave Will by the way, he's way too passive.

Anonymous said...

Andre and HC: I do hear that I am way too passive a lot. Maybe it is true...

Anonymous said...

H.C.
I think the way you tell a personal story like this is great. There is a grittiness and "slice of life" feel to this. H.C.,if you wrote a book about your life and times in this here "dirty town" of Flint ,Michigan I think it would be right up there with Ben Hamper's book "Rivethead". Maybe all we here in Flint have now is the nostalgic feelings and our long gone "glory days" . But remember folks,we were were GREAT ! Alot of shop towns have come and gone but none but Flint was the birthplace of General Motors . The money GM made and the lives it changed can not be dismissed or fully calcualted.
Anyway H.C. I think you bring the human side to this decaying industrial town that alot of people will never see. I still live here,rust is in my blood. I am and always be Blue Collar and Flintoid.

The H.C. said...

Hey John,
Actually, I have a few stories about Ben Hamper.I knew his family and hung around with Matt, his younger brother. Matt married a girl named Jackie who is mentioned in "Rivethead" and was my ex-girlfriend. Maybe I'll add that to the list of personal stories I'll write about one day. Thanks for the props my fellow Flintoid. There is something about this town. Even though I don't really like Bruce Springstein, his song "My hometown" always makes my eyes well up because it reminds me of Flint.

heiresschild said...

hi HC, this was a good post and a beautiful tribute to your pet dragon. i oftentimes wonder about people who live certain lifestyles, and when they die, what happens. God knows each person's heart, and salvation is personal between the person and God. many of us probably had a little "tom" in us at one point in our lives.

hi will, i honestly thought about you when giving out the awards. i could only pick 5 people, and didn't want to do a triple award, so HC and Andre are each supposed to give that award to 5 people, so maybe you'll be one of their 5, should they choose to do so.

you guys are so hilarious (but i know you're serious). you really brighten up my day.

Anonymous said...

HeiressChild: Thank you for the consideration, I am honestly touched.

Actually, each of them giving the five awards was what I meant when I said to hook a brother up. The advice was nice too though... ;)

The H.C. said...

Thanks Heiress,
You hit right on my main point, some people have kindness where others might not and faults that are their own. How heavily does that weigh? If they're mentally ill, are they forgiven? Isn't intent the true characteristic we should all be judged on? When I look at Tom's life, a lot of questions come up. I used that quote from "Gangs of New York" because Daniel Day-Lewis' character was so much like I remember Tom. Everyone in my life has taught me something, for that, I am grateful.