Friday, June 15, 2007

DAMN THE CHEERLEADERS


There are times when something will occur to me while letting my mind wander that I'm sure I would not have thought of if I had a normal brain. Today was one of those days. While pondering the budget problems we are having here in Michigan, I started thinking what a disaster it's been having Jennifer Granholm for a Governor (Not really a new thought for me). I then thought, "Well it's our own fault for putting a cheerleader in office when we needed a player." Then it occurred to me that G.W. was a cheerleader too (Doesn't he look cute in his little outfit?). Then I struck on a big revelation; cheerleaders make terrible politicians. At this point, I'd like to apologize to all cheerleaders for what I'm implying. Both my daughters were cheerleaders and are both very bright and capable people, I'm quite sure it's just a coincidence that the worst President ever and the worse Governor ever were both cheerleaders. But it does make one think.

As my mind continued to wander, I started thinking how utterly similar Buffy the Job Killer and G.W. really are. I mean, think about it, Granholm is overseeing the worse State Fiscal Policy ever and Bush is running the worst Foreign Policy ever. Both, for some strange reason, were re-elected mostly because their opposition ran such unpalatable candidates. Both like to blame "things that are out of their control" for why their policies are failing, and both claim the problems that they face are the product of prior administrations not addressing them and leaving them for Bush and Buffy to clean up. Both are overwhelmingly supported by their base which makes excuses for their side while excepting no excuse for the other side.


However, there is one thing that's very different. How they've been handled by the press.


While G.W. has been raked over the coals (And rightly so.) for his failure on foreign policy, The Granholm Administration has yet to answer at all for her failings. In example; Every since it became obvious to everyone but Rush Limbaugh that the post war plan was a failure in Iraq, the press has been howling for someone to pay for that mistake. In response, Bush has fired (albeit late) Donald Rumsfeld, George Tennet, and his entire Joint Chiefs of Staff. Then add to that a whole string of Generals and his Press Secretary. So, who has had to answer for Governor Granholm's miserable state fiscal policy? Not one single person. And who's head is the press calling for? No one. Now, before you start screaming how no one died because of Jennifer's stupidity, let me say that I understand there is different degrees of stupidity on trial here, but to not make a Governor answer to a one state recession is being a little too forgiving.


As I sit here in Michigan with the highest unemployment of any state in the U.S. I can't help but think the time has come. Let me the first in the media to say, "We've had enough, somebody has to pay for doing a job this badly." Recalls on Governors are pretty much a waste of time given the number of signatures you would have to get, so the only way to make things right is to call for some sacrificial lambs. If Jennifer Granholm will not except the blame and step down then she needs to hand us the head of her economic team or her advisers. It's time to stop handling Granholm with kid gloves, she needs to answer for her FUBAR the way we rightly made G.W. answer for his. Too many people here in Michigan are suffering while she skips off Scott-free. It's time we realized we need a player, not a cheerleader. If she's not up to the job, she should step down and get back on the sidelines where she belongs. H.C.





8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey H.C.
I appreciate your insight. We are in the era of the uberKommunicator. These people and their teams of experts "press the buttons" so we press the right buttons on election day. We salivate when the bell is rung. We are willing participants. The politicians must turn a complex issue into a catch phrase, if not, they must bring out the double speak. These politicians will neither resign nor feel shame this might weaken future speaking/consulting profits.
We will continue to vote them in or not vote at all. With this type of politician every liberty and every right will be removed in the name of health and safety. They are all paid for and will do their controller's bidding. Jennifer or George, Hilary or Ghoul-i-ani and the others are the cream of the well washed, over trained, hyperpolitical crop. Hopefully our country will survive the assault. We will certainly be a changed nation. Waive bye bye to the middle class and embrace the post rational world.
Finally the very idea of a wall between Mexico and the United State makes about as much sense as Mike Bishop and Jennifer Granholm agreeing that the economy of Michigan is more the a press-op for their respective political fortunes.
Thanks for the opportunity to rant.
I like the design of your page.
Mike from Asquieth

The H.C. said...

Hey Mike,
I think you may be in the running for "Rant of the Year". I agreed with everything you had to say and laughed at your metaphors and wordplay. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a comment so much. The only advice I would give you is try to be a little optimistic, nothing has ever been achieved through pessimism. More and more people are becoming aware and more and more media is becoming out of their (politicians)control. With 27% of voters now declaring themselves independent, the environment is ripe for a third party. Now, if we can only get them to care less about Paris Hilton and more about health care. Thanks for your comments.

Andre said...

Personally, I don't like cheerleaders. Their reputations for being bubbly, clueless, and perpetually cheerful (even when stuff sucks) doesn't precede them.

The H.C. said...

Hey Andre,
Finally, Andre lets his one prejudice show.....he's a cheerleader hater. JK. I saw today where Buffy's approval rating is at an all-time-low 52%. That means 52% think she's doing a good job? I mean, even if they make excuses for the job she's done, 52% think she's doing a GOOD job? If 52% thought Bush was doing a good job at this point, I'd be all for manditory mental heath screenings.

Anonymous said...

Hey H.C.
Yeah Well you know. My pockets are full. I live in the land of abundance. While we lounge and sip our frappicinos, I recommend reading the Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis. He pens the perfect metaphor for our time.
Upon further investigation: Our government continues to provide billions for death while our lives become cheaper and cheaper. Everyone is expendable and everyone is a terrorist.

If you are voted to the presidency of the U.S. you have the chance to completely change the world. Hilter, Stalin could only fantise about this kind of power. We, the dream of our ancestors, elevate idiots to that fine office. (It has happened before but I thought we were beyond it.) So much good could be done. But the candidates must appeal to my base of hate and fear. I am a motivated voter if the smoking gun is a mushroom cloud. Gays getting married -Like I care- This stuff really works. When we are told that we are addicted to oil-What does that mean?-War on Terrorism-New bankruptcy laws designed to help the consumer-Ha ha ha you gotta love this stuff. and They all say it with a straight face. The multinationals constantly donate to their political causes depending on how well the candidate can doublespeak and provide kickbacks for its corporate masters. We can try to understand but while we are wasting time on nonsense they continue to undermine the very idea of the US. They are all cheerleaders. They are all Bagdad Bob while the country falls. I would like to see a human being in office. Any office.
Again Thanks for the Rant. I am optimistic~mostly. Or when I can buy enough gas to get to work and back.
M from A.

The H.C. said...

Hey Mike,
We elect the leaders who lie the best and get caught the least. Is it not our own fault when we expect change from leaders who share the last name of the leaders before them? Whether it's Bush or Gore, Kennedy or Clinton we're drowning in politicians who have made our sweet Democracy their own family business. Change? Hell, Kings never want change, we might change them. Thanks for your comments

Anonymous said...

Hey H.C.
Why do we like dynasties? Is it a human need like community?
I will try to stay on topic this time. I agree with Andre, I don't like cheerleaders either.
To respectfully and humbly disagree with H.C. (I am kneeling and shielding my eyes while I write.)
I think the ownership of the media and the politicians has changed hands. Now the media owns the politician. If the media doesn't give them face time they won't win the election. So ya gotta look pretty and say the right things. Who owns the media?
Finally is there a Mr. Smith out there and can he ever get to Washington?
Thanks H.C.,
M from A

The H.C. said...

Hey Mike,
I have no idea why we would like dynasties, maybe it's leftover from the days of monarchies? In answer to your question, "is there a Mr. Smith out there and can he ever get to Washington?", the answer is "no", unless he's a billionaire.