Thursday, September 20, 2007

THROUGH A CHILD'S EYES

Yesterday, a very unusual incident happened to me. Since we've been discussing people and the way we stereotype each other, I thought it would make a good example of what can happen when we don't give each other the benefit of the doubt. However, while exploring the different ways to approach the story, I thought about my own rules for the media (which to a lesser extent includes me). One of the rules I outlined was to "only bring race into the story when it's relevant." I thought about whether or not this story was absolutely about race and I decided that we could still learn the lesson without it. So, I'm going to let all of you guess the race of the players and I won't tell you any different. But be careful and use this as an opportunity to examine yourself.

While on my way out to my car after work, I noticed a police officer friend of mine (not the same one in the previous post) standing in the shade, watching the students making their way both to and from their cars. We started talking about the safety of the students and how people need to be involved in protecting one another. Suddenly, a call came over his radio about a suspicious man who was standing in front of our day care center. The campus police started swarming toward the day care center from every direction. My friend and I could see what was going on from our view across the river. Another call came across his radio. Several parents were demanding that the police come immediately as the man seemed to be very agitated. We could hear a couple of officers respond that they were nearly there. My friend then commented that he couldn't really see what the problem was as there was no mention of a gun or any threatening actions. More calls came over the radio describing the man, nothing seemed to me to indicate that he was doing anything unusual. Again my friend noted that it didn't seem suspicious to him, but the radio made it clear that the parents and staff were not taking any chances and would not let any kids out until this man was checked out. Finally, after a brief silence, a call came over calling for the "all clear". The man was simply waiting for his daughter and was agitated because she was supposed to be out by then, and he was in a hurry. Somebody it seems, owed somebody an apology.


Now, there are a lot of things to consider here. The staff had never seen this man before because his wife usually picked his daughter up. And he did seem agitated. But it seems to me they jumped from stage one to stage four without considering two or three. Why not just ask the man if he needed help? What was he there for? The answer did seem to be his appearance.


Now, I want you to consider the possibilities. Did you automatically assume he was black? Why? What about my friend? Was he the same color as the man? The same religion? Is it possible the man was a Muslim? An Arab? Maybe even wearing a turban? Could he have been a large white biker-looking guy? How about a skinny creepy-looking guy? What color were the parents? The staff? Take a second and think about where you thought this was all going and why.


Since I'm not going to tell you about the specifics, let me tell you what bothered me the most about this whole story. His daughter. It brought tears to my eyes to think of his little girl (our day care only takes kids under 5) standing there wondering what's going on. "There's a bad man outside?" she must have thought to herself. Certainly she could sense that something was going on. By not demonstrating one simple act; the benefit of doubt, we changed that little girl's perspective of how she viewed her father, and the way she viewed other people's opinion of him, based only on appearance. I'm sure her dad will be fine, by this stage of his life he knows the worst of humanity. But it saddens me to think we robbed a little girl of her innocence, because we couldn't be brave enough to ask an unarmed man, "Can I help you." H.C.

8 comments:

Andre said...

*Honestly, the guy sounded white to me*

But I love the way that you purposely left out (leave out?) the guy's race. A move like that definitely brings to bear how and why we create stereotypes based on impression. Equally, it shows how our self-perpetuated stereotypes become a learned behavior by children who would otherwise not even notice.

Another solid piece, my friend. You're getting way too good at this whole blogging thing. :)

The H.C. said...

Hey Dre,
"Another solid piece, my friend. You're getting way too good at this whole blogging thing. :)"

Coming from my writing mentor, I can't think of a better compliment.

I'm such a pansy though, I was actually tearing up thinking about this guy's kid...I swear Dre, there are times when I damn near give up on people, but then I'll see something decent happen and my faith gets restored. Have a good weekend!

heiresschild said...

when i read this, no color came to my mind about anybody. perhaps because of the way you started out the post, or perhaps because i just never thought of it, but at any rate, i just tried to keep a neutral mind and focus on the points mentioned.

if i were inside a building and saw someone outside acting in a suspicious manner , i probably would have been suspicious also. i'm a female so women tend to notice certain things, especially with men. (oh oh, i guess i just stereotyped, huh?) with a daycare or school where children are involved, one has to be very careful, and it's better to be suspicious and cautious calling the police than to allow the children out and something goes awry from there.

why didn't one of the staff come out and question him, you mentioned? well, if they thought he was acting in a suspicious manner, then why would they come out and possibly endanger themself?

you didn't say what he was doing to show his agitation. was he pacing? was he talking out loud, saying things that would cause questioning? that may have had an impact on how the staff reacted by calling the police.

do you know that the children were aware of what was going on? they may not have been told something wasn't right; therefore, the father's daughter may not have had any reason to think anything about her father. with children that young, they're usually protected and part of the protection means sometimes withholding what might be happening so they won't get fearful and just keeping them otherwise occupied.

do you think you were influenced by your friend the policeman and his cool, calm demeanor and remarks about it not seeming like this wasn't a threatening situation?

it doesn't sound like anything was based on color to me, just the behavior of the man. and again, i say, it's better to be cautious than to throw caution to the wind and something terrible happens that later on one would say, "why didn't i.......?"

i'm one of the most compassionate people on earth, but even thru a child's eyes, where children are involved, one has to be very careful.

The H.C. said...

Hi Heiress,
You ask some great questions. As far as I know he was just pacing back and forth and swearing. Also, some of the children were by the front which is all glass, I don't know for sure that she could see what was going on, but I'm sure she knew something was. I like that you didn't think about color at all, that says something about you. I'm rather proud of the fact that I never even considered whether you were white, black brown or anything in between. I couldn't see how it would matter. I wish I was better at always thinking like that....I am working on it. Finally, I agree we have to be careful, but by that I mean careful all the way around. Thanks for your commments. H.C. (I just noticed we have the same initials)

Anonymous said...

Hi H.C. :)

I've been (trying) to avoid posting here often since I go off topic and give you a hard time. ;)
However, I cannot. No will power at all concerning your pieces.

Good thing we live in a Republic and not a Democracy as far as that man is concerned, else the crowd may have shot him dead. "I'm afraid, so you're gonna pay".
Remember folk's, only our Republican form of government protects the minority - the individual.

I do not care to ask anyone why they are there or if they need help. I have been asked these similar things and replied go away.
Whilst wearing a biker's jacket no less.

I do not support the fear mongering the mainstream media promotes.
The media drills into our heads not to talk to strangers.
Most kidnapped children and I mean (most all) are kidnapped by a relative or parent period. The media is promoting chipping (RFID) our children. When's the last time your children were kidnapped?

We have been conditioned to be untrusting hermits. And conditioning our children to continue this trend.

There were evil people throuhout time, nothing has changed, save our unwarranted fear of each other.

The new motto is: "Trust Government, never yourselves!".

Rod Ryker...

Anonymous said...

Hi heiresschild :)

Why do you parrot yourself as (female)? That's a scientific term.
I would enjoy to call you a lady or woman. ONLY those two will do!.

Now, you may want to rethink your following statements.

"...it's better to be suspicious and cautious calling the police than to allow the children out and something goes awry from there."

Umm, why?
Parent's don't get angry at their children or teachers or school's or daycare's?
If I think you are not spending enough quality time with your children, shall I call human services (government) on you because it's better to err in favor of what I think (someone elses child's) best interest is?
And take that child away from you and charge you with a crime?!

It's very easy to be an oppressor, try defending yourself from the mob (democracy), the police, the prosecutor, the judge, the jury, and the inmates for years...

Yes, my dear lady, things can and do go awry when our fears manifest into actions.

Rod Ryker...

heiresschild said...

hi H.C., i always noticed our initials, and sometimes when i go to my favorites folder to click on my blog, i accidentally click on yours because of that.

since it was glass and the children could see out, or might have seen the police cars, etc., if i was the parent involved, or any parent, i'd deal with the situation with my child a little different. i'd explain that because of my actions (pacing, swearing), the school staff was just being cautious to make sure everything was alright. that would be my opening maybe, and as questions came up, then i'd go from there. i think by explaining to the daughter, or any other children, it would help them not to feel embarrassed or ashamed in any way. hopefully, that would work.

hi rod,
i'm not "parroting" myself by saying "female." that's nice that you'd say "woman" or "lady." for me, woman, lady, female, it's all the same. i say po-tay-toe, someone else says po-tah-toe, but it's still the same. i don't mind.

after reading your comments, i hear what you are saying, but i don's see the similarities in what you say and my reasoning for calling the police. no, i wouldn't call protective child services for someone not spending enough time with their child, but someone acting in a suspicious manner, especially around children, is a totally different situation. however, if i thought a child was being abused, i'd make a call saying i believe this is what the situation is. by saying i believe, i'm not accusing anyone, and i know from experience, it's better to be safe than sorry later on if a child ends up hurt or dead.

Yes, my dear lady, things can and do go awry when our fears manifest into actions.

i don't necessarily see it as fears being manifested into actions, but more like caution. one can be cautious without having fear. thank you for your comments.

The H.C. said...

Hey Rod,
Fear makes us do irrational things, but it really shouldn't justify our irrationality. A funny thing happened to me when I explained to my young son about the missing people on milk cartons. I explained to him, as you did, that most of those kids were simply "kidnapped" by one of their parents, usually the dad. Afterwards, I noticed that he wouldn't go anywhere with me. And...you guessed it, he was afraid I was going to kidnap him. I think your very on point about the new motto being, "Trust Government, never yourselves!". So many of our fears are irrational.