Saturday, December 8, 2007

DID CNN SET UP REPUBLICANS IN THE YOUTUBE DEBATES?

Once again the issue of media bias raises it's ugly head. This time in the form of the CNN/YOUTUBE debates. While CNN is celebrating the fact that they hosted the #1 rated Presidential debate of all time, some conservatives are left grumbling that the "Secret Selection Process" CNN used was questionable at the very least. Somehow CNN didn't find it necessary to even 'Google' some of the people who's questions were chosen. This "oversite" on CNN's part meant that Retired General, Keith Kerr, who is on Hillary Clinton's Gay and Lesbian Rights Steering committee got to question Republicans as to why they (Republicans) don't think our military is "professional" enough to handle having openly gay people in their ranks. The question itself should have raised flags, as our military is still operating on the "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy set up by none other than Bill Clinton. This "oversite" lead to bloggers such as Conservative Michelle Malkin, jumping all over CNN for allowing political activists for the Democratic Party to handle the questions.

I take a slightly different view of this than most of the right wing columns I have read . Ms Malkin demonstrates in her piece that several "operatives" for the Dems got questions selected. Now, the General, I think, should never have gotten his question through, but to say that someone is in collusion simply because they support Democratic candidates is a bit of a stretch. Michelle points out a Barack supporter, a Edwards supporter, as well as more Hillary supporters. I would assume, in a random sampling, that you would find some people who actively support different candidates including some Democrats. To push it as far as she did diminishes the real point; CNN was not handling the debates fairly.

I think what we're seeing here is simply a left wing dominated media source (CNN) not having a clue as to why they've demonstrated bias. In their world, Democrats should be asking Republicans hard questions. It stands to reason, they believe, that only Democrats would ask the hard questions. So where's the foul? Well the foul is that CNN isn't applying that same principle to the other side of our tired two-party system. CNN uses the same pool of people to pick both the Democratic Youtube Debate questions and the Republican Youtube Debates questions. Now that would be fine if CNN would just come forward and tell use who these people are so we can assess for ourselves if there was a fair sampling from the political spectrum. But CNN doesn't want to come clean and for good reason. The panel was chosen from "Mainstream Media" according to CNN, and since the MM is decidedly left leaning, even according to CNN's own Lou Dobbs, of course the panel would lean left also. Again, CNN sees no foul. All this comes at a time when the Democrats are boycotting FOX News because of their, (you guessed it) ...political bias.


Did CNN purposely slant the questions harshly against the Republicans and softball the Democrats? NO, not purposely. Did one of Hillary's supporters take an opportunity to publicly embarrass Republicans? Yes, definitely. Did Hillary know? I think there are standing orders in the Elect Hillary Camp, she doesn't need to know or approve. Should CNN have been more vigilant in checking out who these people were? Certainly, and the fact that they didn't, speaks volumes. But, in the end, this is just more proof of my chief complaint about the left. They can't see their own prejudices because they're always too busy pointing out someone else's. H.C.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haahahahaha! I've become so desensitized to this crap that I swear I find it amusing. This, along w/ reading about Clinton plants @ Obama campaign rallies (sorry, no linky), makes me glad to see that this stuff is getting outed more (it seems). But ya know what? It won't matter. Everybody will forget about this, & every other shady practice that has yet to occur as soon as Britney Spears spits out another kid or Paris Hilton buys another $20k handbag. Seriously, there are things in this country that have me waking up some days wondering if I'm living in a bloody cartoon!!! But I digress. Can we finally be done w/ this 2008 election nonsense so we can begin to have the 2012 elections shoved down our throat? :P

Welcome back H.C. I'm too tired to have opinions anymore. ;)

-n

The H.C. said...

Hey Nic,
I agree, some the conspiracy thinking on the right side of the spectrum almost competes with the nutty conspiracy thinking on the left. I just want CNN to come clean and give us the names of their "Secret Selection Panel" so I can decide for myself if there were any conservatives on it at all.I'm glad to be back Nic, but I seriously doubt that your too tired to have opinions anymore and I'm still hoping to get a few of them to keep me on my toes.

Andre said...

Lately, I've started to notice how CNN is subtly pushing a predominately liberal agenda. Though I've never seen a news outlet as ridiculously off-the-wall as Fox News, the CNN presidential debates are reaffirming widespread media bias more and more.

But frankly, I could care less what they do during the primaries. What I will be most interested in is how this bias will impact the actual Presidential run.

Maybe you were on to something by suggesting that the GOP debate on CNN while the Dems debate on the FNC.

The H.C. said...

Hey Dre,
"Maybe you were on to something by suggesting that the GOP debate on CNN while the Dems debate on the FNC."
Of course I'm on to something, I'm always on to something......or is it on something? I forget.