Tuesday, November 4, 2008

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES

On September 11, 2001 all of our lives changed forever. On that fateful day, Americans were no longer black, brown or white, we were all Americans. The attacks on the World Trade Center unified us all in a way I have never seen. In the face of an enemy that didn't care if they killed who they killed or what color they were, we suddenly all became Americans, brothers and sisters. But time has a way of making us forget the significance of a single day, of a single moment in history. Whether it's April 4, December 7, or September 11, we slowly drift back into all the things that divide, not unify us all.

And now, on November 4, 2008, after all the divisive attacks by both sides, America has seen another equally important moment in time. Unlike the previous days I mentioned, this day is a joyous one, even for the people who did not support the change that has come. On this day America chose an African-American, Senator Barack Obama, for their highest, most powerful position, the President of the United States of America. This happened even though blacks are only 14% of the population. It happened with the help of white people, Asian people, Hispanic people, Gay people and people of every race, creed, and religion imaginable. It happened because a majority of people did not care about his color or his mixed race and mixed religion background. What they all shared was his positive message of an America that could be better, of an America that lives up to it's creed; "That all men are created equal". They all shared his vision of unity, not divisiveness, of hope, not of fear.

On this one day America is again unified by the one bond that binds us all, a future that is tied and bound by our love of the United States, our home.

Don't get me wrong, there will be times of trial, and divisiveness will again rear it's ugly head, but after today, we will never look at America the same. The Nay-sayers, the haters, the people stuck in the sad reality that was the '50's, '60's, and '70's will have to admit that America has changed and for the better. On this day, November 4, opportunity has spread and now warms the hearts of people who honestly felt that it was simply not theirs to enjoy. It is truly a day for hope and optimism.

The saddest part of all of this is that one day separated Barack's grandmother, the women who raised him and the person he credits with being his biggest influence, from seeing her son become everything she believed he could be. I am sure, however, that she is in heaven smiling down, knowing that the sacrifices she made were not for naught. Family has won out.

To all my black friends, congratulations. It has been a long hard road but one that has lead to a better tomorrow. Yesterday is gone, the moment is fleeting, and tomorrow is all we have. On this one day, history has been made, hope has resurfaced and racism has been dealt a serious blow. What a difference one day can make. H.C.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hippie, you know from all the discussions you and I have had over the past few months, I had lingering doubts about Obama being able to pull this off. So as expected, I spent a large part of the early morning trying to figure out how the hell he won this election.

Then it came to me.

Sen. Obama had spent the last two years inching his way closer to securing a seat at the table. The more headway he got, the more people started to believe in him, while nudging their way to the table as well. For all of his eloquence and sophistication, he could not have done this without his supporters; supporters who - incidentally - were as unique, diverse, and unified as any group ever assembled in politics. Blacks, whites, Latinos, Arab, young, old, rich, poor, Democrats, Republicans. We were all joint partners in this effort.

That spirit of inclusion and collectivity is what's often been missing in the past and what found its way to the surface during this campaign.

TABOR said...

H.C. I agree that this election was historic, perhaps the most historic in our countries' brief history. But I guess I also find it disturbing that race played such a large role in this election. It was definately geared towards the issues to a degree, and that is how Obama eventually won. Because even many racists had to agree that Obama's policies were better than McCains'.
But I tend to go into political chatrooms quite a bit, and I feel that perhaps racsism in this country is in higher supply after this election than it was before Tuesday. I see it rearing it's ugly head by the minute.
I know chatrooms are filled with many dumb people that just like to spout out at the mouth. But I've never seen so many "N" bombs and blind hatred toward a man of color in my life. The media can't come out and say what they think because they are filtered and they risk losing sponsorship. However, chatrooms are where people's true beliefs come spewing out, and I gotta tell you, it's sickening to me the things people have been saying.
On the flipside,there were many people of color accusing whites of being racsist simply because they weren't supporting Obama, regardless if they had logical reasons for backing McCain or a 3rd party candidate.
As Chris Rock so eloquintly said in a stand-up routine. "I'm not afraid of Al Quaeda, I'm afraid of "Al Cracka". I think of this because I can see some redneck from Texas or Tennessee taking matters into his own hands and assassinating Obama. Then everything that has happened towards tolerance and unity will be scrapped violently, and racial tension will reach a height that could parrallel the civil war era.
I hope to God that I'm wrong. It's not that I don't think Biden would do ok as prez, but I just hate to think of the distrust that an incident like that would cause throughout the entire American landscape. Please Al Cracka, give this man a chance!!

The H.C. said...

Once again, congratulations my brother,
I can hardly blame you for your skepticism. After all, your life has been filled with promises unfurfilled. I had the advantage of seeing something in white people that I had never seen before; them pinning their future on a black man. As soon as I started hearing my WMA friends saying, "I think I might vote for this Obama guy." I knew that there was something new and unique about him. As more white people started saying that out loud, more started feeling it was O.K.. At that point I knew that a tide was growing that couldn't be easily stopped. The Reps were further handicapped when their trust in CEO's came back to bite them with the present economic crisis, but it was his positive message that truly won the day. People want hope, not fear. I pray Obama will be able to deliver but I would caution everyone that he is still only a man and he has a corrupt, established system to overcome. Those people will not be quick to surrender what was so hard to establish. We will all have to continue to support real change, an end to our dependency on oil and the restructuring of our government to best represent the interests of the people, not just the priviledged few. We also have to remember to support the working poor over the lazy and not fall into the old Democratic Party that lost people like me the first time around.

The H.C. said...

Hey Tabor,
I have to say, that last line made me laugh. "Please Al Cracka, give this man a chance!!" I couldn't, and probably wouldn't, have said it better myself. I wouldn't worry too much about Barack being assassinated, after all, G.W. was the most hated President I've ever seen in my lifetime. And he made it. As far as the racists are concerned; The Internet has simply given people a forum for being assholes. Some of them are just doing it for effect, to be outrageous. I don't think it's a very good gauge of how racist people really are. Think of it this way; people say things like, "I wish Cheney would have a heart attack." or "I wish someone would kill Bush." But most of them would feel really guilty if it actually happened. It's just people venting, don't take it too seriously.

Rev. said...

Tabor you mentioned that-

"I guess I also find it disturbing that race played such a large role in this election"

I think you'll be glad to know that according to CNN's polls, voters felt age was a larger issue than race. Some 70% felt age was a deciding factor in how they voted. Which was much higher than voters who thought race was an issue.

How strange!
The worst discrimination going on was against sr. citizens.!! Those damn young uns' are Age-ists!!

With regard to Obama,
I would like to add, that for the first time in my political awareness, i am actually excited about the man in charge of our country. Its a wonderful feeling to know that the President of the United States can relate to the working class. As long as he's in office i feel like i've got someone fighting for me.

Great blog H.C
!!!STOP AGE-ISM!!!!!

lime said...

while i disagree with president elect obama on some important issues i must say i am proud of my country for being willing to look at the content of a man's character rather than the color of his skin. whatever differences i have with his positions i do believe he is committed to uniting people rather than dividing them. the way he expressed it in his victory speech was both eloquent and inspiring.

brown vs the board of education was only a few years before obama was born. his election is a significant moment in history.

The H.C. said...

LOL Rev,
I agree, agism was a major player in this election and guess what? No one cared. If this commercial would have been directed at Obama it would have been banned from the internet. (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/64ad536a6d/paris-hilton-responds-to-mccain-ad-from-paris-hilton-adam-ghost-panther-mckay-and-chris-henchy)

The H.C. said...

Absolutely Lime,
I have to agree with you on Barack's issues. His "no" vote on requiring parental notification when a minor gets an abortion bothered me a lot. And I'm Pro-Choice. Also, if he believes that Government jobs are the answer to our financial problems he is in for an rude awakening. In addition, I think the Democrats in general have misread the people's view on income redistribution. I think I can sum it up this way; Generally people aren't in favor of income redistribution, but this time they are more inclined to support it because they feel the money was stolen from them. That's quite a bit different than taking it from someone who earned it honestly. However, all thing considered, I do think he could be a great leader in a lot of other ways and he does seem to have the people's interest at heart. Thanks for your thoughts.

lime said...

as for agism being a big factor...i think that was enhanced by realizing if mccain croaked during the election it meant palin's finger would be on the button and that is a terrifying thought. had he chosen a more suitable, intelligent, reasoned (gads the list could go on and on here) running mate i think his age would have been less of a consideration.