Wednesday, October 29, 2008

WHO AND WHAT I'LL BE VOTING FOR AND AGAINST NOVEMBER 4th

In this historic election, I have tried to give you as fair an analysis of the issues and events that I possibly could. I believe I have treated each candidate with equal suspicion and equal respect. But at some point we have to make a final decision. I will say this one thing to help comfort you in case your candidate should lose, either Senator John McCain or Senator Barack Obama would make a good President. Neither of them will destroy our country or our economy. The rhetoric that you has been fed to you by the Mainstream Media and the campaigns has been carefully designed to make you fearful of the other. The differences between the two lies simply in their philosophy of what would be best for our country. Nothing more. Barack Obama is not a secret Muslim America hater and John McCain is not trying to destroy the Middle Class for fun and profit. So, with no further adu, here is how I will be voting, why I'm going that way and what I think the results will be.

*President of the United States of America*
I have given this considerable thought and I feel that Senator Barack Obama is the best choice for this moment in history to lead our country. I'll say right up front that Barack's association with a Preacher that spews hatred instead of Love as commanded by the very religion that he embraces, bothered me the most. I do not believe that Obama didn't know. I believe that is a lie, simply put. What I do think happened was that Barack thought he could benefit from Rev. Wright's connections and that he needed the Church to get elected, as is the case for all black politicians running in black communities. For his support, Barack sold out and then lied about it when it was no longer convenient. However, in this respect, Obama is no worse than John McCain who ran legislation for shady people like Charles Keating. The difference is that Obama's associations didn't cause thousands of people to lose their life savings and didn't cost me a dime. So, on the issue of associations, McCain lost.

Now, on the issue of oil. I can only hope that Obama will lead us out of our dependency on foreign oil. John McCain, I am dead certain, will not. With his Bush ties, his 20+ ex-oil lobbyists on his staff and his "drill baby drill" mentality, I have no faith that John McCain will lead us away from the biggest danger we face today. We will be out of domestic oil in 12 years at our current pace and I am tired of bowing and sending young lives and billions of dollars to countries that hate us and have our destruction as a goal. This is my number one issue and it effects our foreign policy, our domestic policy and our economy. On this issue, again, McCain lost.

Even though those two issues alone would have pushed my vote away from McCain, there are other considerations that have moved me to Barack. I feel that Barack Obama's election would send a message around the world that is so powerful, it can not be ignored. We, the United States of America, will have elected a person that represents a minority of less than 14% of the population, African American. This doesn't happen in any of the so-called "progressive" countries around the world. France will never elect a Muslim, the U.K. will never elect a Catholic and Ireland will never elect a Protestant. Only in the U.S. is this possible. The message sent within our borders could be equally important. Every minority child in the U.S. will now know they have the opportunity to be anything they want to be. This is America at it's finest. I believe the odds of this happening are very good. I predict Barack Obama will win by 2 to 3% of the popular vote...maybe even more.

*U.S. Senate seat now held by Senator Carl Levin (D-Mich)*
Despite the fact that Carl has lost my respect, deserted our state, and sadly become another Democrat partisan hack, I believe he will handily beat his challenger Republican Jack Hoogendyk. I will be voting for a 3rd Party candidate out of disgust. Carl, you were once my hero, how far you have fallen. J.P. McCarthy would be ashamed.

*Proposition One-Medical Marijuana (Michigan proposal)*
I would be a complete hypocrite if I didn't support this proposal. I have been a advocate for legalization of Marijuana my entire adult life. I used medicinal Marijuana when I was being treated for Cancer when I was 32. It absolutely helped. For my complete testimony check out my video at http://hk.youtube.com/user/bentdrive. I believe that this proposal will pass. Opponents claim it's an effort to move toward legalization and I don't care. To quote Jimmy Carter (the only time I do), "The punishment for a crime shouldn't do more harm to society than the crime itself."

*Proposal Two-Stem Cell Research (Michigan proposal)*
The fact is, we don't need this. Stem Cells can be grown from skin, umbilical cords, amniotic fluid, placenta, and even testes. This is a attempt to discount life at conception, a"fuck you" to people with religious morals, and I do care. Although I am Pro-Choice, there are issues surrounding this that can reach far beyond simply Stem Cells. The issue is whether it's O.K. to create life just to destroy it and I just can't support that. My joke on this issue is that when the Democrats found out that there was other ways to get Stem Cells they asked, "Can't we kill them anyway?" It is unnecessary at this point and I've done a lot of research including asking some of my very knowledgeable University colleagues. After reviewing the polls and doing some "man on the street" interviewing, I'm going to update (10/3 at 7:30am) my prediction and say that this proposal will pass. I will still be voting against it.

There you go folks, I hope all of you will make up your own minds and do what you feel is best for all of us. Most importantly, don't forget to vote November 4th. It is our most sacred right. H.C.

4 comments:

TABOR said...

Very well-said and balanced. I also agree that McCain's dependancy on foreign oil is the reason that I can't support him. There are so many ideas swirling around the issue of fuel, and there are plenty of alternitives that have been swept under the rug during the last few decades if not longer.
As far as Barrack Obama goes with his religious views, I don't really care whether he's a christian, muslim, or atheist. At least when a democratic is in office they don't let religion run their office and that's a good thing in my opinion. America is a melting pot of religions and it seems to be the only fascism that is still tolerated in America. It's not ok be be rascist or anti-gay, etc. Anymore but it is still widely excepted to treat people like shit if they aren't a Christian.
I guess the only flaw I find with this piece, you said that "America, will have elected a person that represents a minority of less than 14% of the population, African American" then the other examples you used were "Muslims, Protestants, Catholics" those are religions, not races. Would Obama get elected if he was an open muslim? Probably not. This country still loves their Jesus Juice. But I understand what you were trying to say and I do agree that it shows major progression for this country.
I however, will be voting for Ron Paul, I'm writing him in simply because I hate our 2 party system. If enough people vote for a 3rd party candidate then maybe by the time I'm 80 we'll have someone in office who isn't a puppet of the left or right, but rather someone who stands in the middle and listens to both sides of the issues. Great blogging brother!!

lime said...

nicely done. i still intend to write in my vote for US president. my u.s. rep is also a contested seat and i am having the worst time deciding what to do. the incumbent has made some grave missteps but the challenger is completely odious. my state rep is also contested. and though i know the incumbent personally and like him as an individual i am voting against him because i disagree with him at a core level on two major issues that affect our state and especially our district.

The H.C. said...

Thanks Tabor,
Your right, there are a lot of alteratives to oil. Algae biofuel for instance is the one I feel has the most promise along with electric vehicles. As I've said before, this is the single biggest issue for me personally. you make a real good point about me only pointing out religions, let me try again. No representative of a minority group (that doesn't dominate the country) runs any other democratic country. There has never been a white man freely elected in a black dominated African country, a black man in Europe or an Asian in any Asian dominated Country. Good catch, I didn't even notice that I had used only religion. We still have a ways to go on that front (just look how Romney was treated) and we have yet to catch up with the rest of the world on electing a women. That will probably happen within my lifetime. Good points!

The H.C. said...

Hey Lime,
As you know, I'm all for 3rd parties. So I salute your efforts. They can't win if we never vote for them and the 2 party system is ruining this country. Sometimes I write down pluses and minuses of candidates and use the list to make my final decision..I hope that helps. Thanks for the kudos.