Sunday, October 25, 2009

PRESIDENT OBAMA SO FAR

Since I invested my precious vote in President Barack Obama, I feel I have every right to judge his progress and see if he has met my expectations of him. I was going to wait until his one year anniversary, but so much has happened and so much of his agenda has been put forth that I think it may be time to do an earlier assessment.

First, let me be clear on one thing so that any of you Barack fans out there don't have to bruise your little typing fingers hammering out an angry reply. I know that he can't fix all the problems created by the past administrations in just 10 months. In fact, I give him a full year to start his agenda and then another year for the actions to show results- but by the mid-term elections, the excuses had better end. That is the exact position I take on all politicians. They don't get elected by promising they can't fix things and I'm not about to give any one of them a free pass because they're good at making excuses. We have one of those politicians for a Governor here in Michigan and it wore thin 5 years ago. I also feel the need to remind those of you leaning right that it took Ronald Reagan 2 full years to reverse the damage of Jimmy Carter and since Ron is your "Great President", you should give Obama at least that long to show some of the same results. Now, with that in mind, let's see how Barack is doing so far.

*Foreign Policy*

This was on the list of reasons I voted for Obama. I had hoped for better relations overseas and so far I got it. Admittedly, they may even like him too much, for instance, by giving him a Nobel Peace Prize. But it is nice to see a little positive attitude overseas. On his dealing with dictators though I would give him a "D-". From North Korea's Kim Jong Il to Iran's Supreme Leader, the dictators of the world are playing us like fools. I believe Iran will be nuclear by the end of his first term and any one that thinks otherwise is as naive as Obama's Foreign Policy Team. Sanctions will not work and neither will diplomacy or world condemnation. The Dems have the bad habit of trusting dictators.

*The Economy*

I keep hearing that the economy is "turning around", mostly from the MSM (Main Stream Media) that desperately wants Obama's Administration to succeed. Most all of my economic professors, however, are quietly telling me that the current upswing in the markets is the result of artificial stimulation and an adjustment for the overselling during the crash. I agree with that assessment. Despite what most Liberals believe, you can't just keep printing money and handing it out. Inflation is looming and the Dollar is shrinking. Unemployment is still rising and way too much "stimulus" money is being spent to patch holes in state budgets. Sooner or later that money is going to run out and then the real work will start.

*The War in Iraq*

The MSM seems to have a serious memory problem when it comes to Iraq. Every liberal writer for every liberal newspaper is now gushing over our victory. Events like the recent bombing in Baghdad are no longer proof positive that we can't win. If G.W. were still in office Cindy Sheehan would be on every station, Code Pink would be demonstrating and every news station minus FOX would be talking about how hopeless the situation is. The fact is, things are bad there but stabilizing. The best credit I can give Prez Obama on Iraq is that he continued the plans of his generals and didn't follow the "grab defeat from the jaws of victory" plan of John Kerry and the rest of the Californication Crowd.

*The Afghan War*

The MSM also seems to have a serious memory problem when it comes to Afghanistan. The "Unwinnable War" now seems winnable to them with little else changing beyond the name of our President. This War has gotten considerably worse since Obama took over. Fanatics are encouraged by Barack's passive tones and the Democrat Party looks ready to cut and run. We only have two real choices in Afghanistan; an all-out effort and continuing presence or withdraw to attack installations and training camps when the situation allows. I'm sorry to say this but, I don't see a good option here. Perhaps after the first nuclear weapon goes off we will realize (with the rest of the world) that extreme measures are the only answer in an extreme land. Until then, the world won't tolerate what needs to be done and Obama's hands are tied. I don't fault Barack for this one, but his mouth made promises that his ass can't keep.

*Bipartisanship*

Don't make me laugh. Isolating Fox? Attacking Right Wing Radio? The only villains the Democrats ever recognize is on the other side of the aisle. Maybe if we could get the terrorists of the world to join the Republican Party, Fox News, Talk Radio or the Sarah Palin Fan Club they would finally understand that "evil" exists outside the U.S. borders. My advice to Barrack? Get some thicker skin and accept that not everyone that disagrees with you is an idiot or worse.

*Health Care*

I'm going withhold judgment until the final bill passes. So far it looks just like everything else that was created by government in committee-a complete mess with something for everyone to hate. I have one question though. Whatever happened to the "Repeal the Bush's Tax Cuts for the wealthy to pay for health care."? Suddenly that's off the table and taxing my plan is on. Remember, simply buying Catastrophic Coverage for 25 million people from the existing Health Care Providers would only cost about $75 billion a year (and that's the high figure) and wouldn't change anyone's present coverage.

*Domestic Policy*

O.K., a quick run-down. Let's see. No gun legislation on tap-good (In fact, so far our rights have expanded.) Leaving Medical Marijuana up to the states-also good. More corporate regulation-only good if it comes with a bureaucracy willing to enforce it. Nation Debt-Very, very, bad. Assorted suck-ups to the Gay Community-mostly don't care.

Overall, I would advise President Obama to focus more on the real issues and avoid things like campaigning for the Olympics. His Presidency will be defined by the Economy, the Wars and Health Care. It's always better to do a few things well than several things badly. I feel good about Barack's growing understanding of the complexities of the world but I would caution him to listen more to the Republicans when dealing with dictators and save his fellow Dem's opinions for dealing with Wall Street. Ten months isn't long enough to make much of an impact, but already Obama is worrying me on the financial front. The good news is, he does seem to be learning. Let's hope President Obama is as good student as he is a politician. H.C.

10 comments:

Aviad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aviad said...

Hey HC,
I think you highlighted the main issues of the past 10 months and hit on the short term memory of individuals, news agencies, politicians and everyone in between. Too often we see knee jerk reactions by politicians because of a media report or the latest poll. I am some what glad to see Obama not rush the Afghan troop request, however, on the other hand I wonder how many of the troops in the field are being negatively impacted by the wait.
I am also alarmed by how much ground the Chinese have gained on the US as the world's main power player, both in terms of shaping foreign relations and especially economically. I think this is a reality that the Obama administration will need to deal with in the future discussions with Iran, N Korea and many other countreis.

The H.C. said...

hey Aviad,
Thanks. The Media on both sides is so bias it's ridiculous. That's why I always encourage people to listen to a variety of different sources and reach their own conclusions. Listening to only one side is the equivalent of sitting on a jury and reaching your decision before you've heard the defense. You make a good point about how our troops are viewing the debate on troop increases. It's got to be a little unsettling to not know if you should prepare for a fight or flight. On the Chinese you make another great point. If we've lost economic and political power in the world over the past two years (and I believe we have), then I think it's pretty obvious China has been a big benefactor. The big question for the U.S. is; will it be Friend or Foe. Thanks for your input!

Anonymous said...

HC,
Don't think for one minute our Second Ammendment Rights are safe. This guy makes Clinton look like a lifetime NRA member. The Liberals REALLY want to remove OUR right to protect ourselves. The Right to own a weapon creates so many problems for 'Big Brother', that it would take tomes to categorize them. People that 'don't like guns', are being duped by these politians into giving up their other rights. Beware people.

In the uber lefts' eyes we are stupid living beings, who only purpose is to produce tax dollars for them to 're-distribute'. We can't educated our kids, take care of ourselves, worship the right God. No... THEY, and ONLY THEY, know what's right for you and me. And don't you even dare to question them. After all: 'are you still molesting your kids?' That's how it'll be resolved.

I have NEVER been as frightened about ANY administration (and I've been around for 60 years), until this clown rolled into town and got a standing ovation from the crop of uber-liberal representatives, senators, and MSM. All that have their own agendas for America 'should be'.

This economy is in far worse shape than the MSM media will ever admit to. After all, if it hasn't improved, then they have to keep coming up with 'reasons' (or people to blame) for it not getting better. Damn... I feel Soooo STIM-YOU-LATED....

I can only hope and pray (to my GOD) that after the elections next fall, we'll erase 10% of the damage these bozos have done.

Sorry, you may take control of your blog again, the hijack is over.

The H.C. said...

Hey Hack,
O.K., Take a moment. Breeeeeath. Let's go over this one step at a time.

"Don't think for one minute our Second Ammendment Rights are safe. This guy makes Clinton look like a lifetime NRA member. The Liberals REALLY want to remove OUR right to protect ourselves."

I never assume that any of our rights are safe. Remember they were put in place to limit government. It's the chain around the dog's neck. I presume the dog wants free. Having said that, I can only react to what's being, or been done. So far, I don't see it. But I will be standing vigilant.

"THEY, and ONLY THEY, know what's right for you and me."

Well, I have to agree with you on that one. When your talking about committed people on the far-left or far-right they always seem to know whats best for me and you. I find very little difference between a committed Atheistic Liberal and a committed radical religious type. Both are very sure they have the answers, that the other side must be silenced, and that if we don't destroy them we'll all be killed, imprisoned or indoctrinated.

"I have NEVER been as frightened about ANY administration(and I've been around for 60 years),"

I too, have seen a lot of administrations. Yet every year, despite all the rhetoric, I pick up my gun and go hunting, my daughters could (God forbid) go get an abortion, and Seniors don't have to eat dog food to survive. If you think about it. We now have more "Right to Carry" states than ever, FOX news is now giving the other side after years of only Liberal controlled press (and it drives them nuts!). Little people like me can call Joe Biden out in a public forum. Every day more and more people are realizing that family is important. Teen pregnancy is going back down after years on the rise. Marriage is back on the upswing. Twice as many people call themselves Social Conservatives as Social Liberals. Even African-Americans are re-evaluating the victim mentality and people like Juan Williams and Bill Cosby are speaking out.

"I can only hope and pray (to my GOD) that after the elections next fall, we'll erase 10% of the damage these bozos have done."

That's the beauty of our system (or the curse, depending on how you look at it). Anytime one side has absolute power they bend to their most radical fraction which looses them the ultra-valuable middle. That's what I'm preaching! It's not the radicals the truly control things. We, the middle, are the true power. We just haven't realized it yet. We'll boot the Dems out just like we did the Reps.

You seem like a very smart guy, Hack, so I know you'll understand this; Be vigilant, but not driven by fear. Be passionate, but not angry. Fear and anger cloud our judgment. We will be compassionate, but not foolish. We will be smart and methodical and fight our fights using the facts and the kind of morality that has made us the greatest country on the face of the Earth. (insert Star Spangled Banner here). I never back down from debate because I know I'm on the side of what's right and best for this country. If I lose that debate, I'll re-evaluate my position or my argument. Despite the last election, (which the Reps lost because of the corruption on Wall Street) I do think the populace is moving fiscally and socially right, not left. We will win the debate in the end, Keep the faith.

Anonymous said...

Fearful was a bad choice of word, caused (no doubt), by the three Sam Adams Octoberfest I had consumed prior to reading your post. I am in an elevated state of anxiety over the whole beltway bunch. They have openly stated that they will PUSH through their agenda, no matter what. If that isn't a scarry thought, I don't know what is.

Here's a great quote that pretty much sums up the present politics:

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."
Alexis de Tocqueville (1835)

This is happening more than ever. And it's just so blatently obvious, it's shameful. It works in sync with the 'ME' generation/mentality, where it's screw the other guy no matter what. And it fits so well into the Liberal mantra: Identify, Villify, and Devide.

The H.C. said...

Hey Hack,
MMMMMM, Sam Adams Octoberfest. Don't worry, I occasionally have an "I've had enough" moment too. Great quote by the way, in case you haven't noticed yet, I love good quotes.

Andre said...

If I had to grade the Prez based on the criteria you outlined...and his performance in those areas, a C+ is probably what'd give him.

I'm impressed with the Prez for what appears to be progressive intentions that we haven't seen much of since the likes of FDR. Unlike many of the Presidents before him, Obama seems genuinely concerned for the most prominent group in this country; the poor and working classes. So the problem isn't his attempts to tackle problems people are facing. The problem lies in his decisions to do everything at once. Instead of simply going with jabs to weaken his opponent, he's coming out swinging with uppercuts. The dude's gonna be exhausted by the end of the first round.

By the way, folks...your guns are going to be safe. Your gun rights have survived mass shooting after mass shooting. Geez. They're not going anywhere. Let's not get all Glenn Beck crazy up in here.

The H.C. said...

Hey Dre,
I think a C+ is probably where I would put him too. I don't know that a lot of people would agree with your FDR comparison. There is a big difference between making people work for their money (Works Progress Administration Program WPA) and just handing it out ala Detroit. But I do agree he is concerned with the average man, even as I disagree with his methods.

"By the way, folks...your guns are going to be safe. Your gun rights have survived mass shooting after mass shooting. Geez. They're not going anywhere."

I agree with you on that one. It's really not even on my list of concerns. I will, however, be watching just to be sure. I think (and I stated this before) that Al Gore's loss of his own state because of his anti-gun rhetoric changed the landscape on that issue.....for now at least.

Anonymous said...

"By the way, folks...your guns are going to be safe. Your gun rights have survived mass shooting after mass shooting. Geez. They're not going anywhere. Let's not get all Glenn Beck crazy up in here."

There is just so many things wrong with that statement that I can't even begin to comment.