Tuesday, March 20, 2007

THE McCAIN FACTOR


He beats or comes close to beating Hillary Clinton in most every poll and he's the only pro-life candidate who stands a chance against her, so it seems obvious the Republicans should be backing him 100%. But John McCain is not seeing the anointment one would expect for someone in his position, and that's got John looking a little less than thrilled about his chances. Especially since lack of support in the Republican Party and the backing of Rudy Giuliana by the Press is pushing his numbers down. In fact, if you've seen Senator McCain on the campaign trail lately, you'd see he looks downright uninspired. Why would the Republican party not back someone who is their best chance to get an anti abortion president? Well, Senator McCain has found himself in the Not-So-Well-Liked branch of the Republican Party and I'm starting to smell the beginnings of a revolt by the man well know for crossing part lines and who fancies himself a bit of a "Maverick".

John S. McCain is, by any man's standard, a tough son-of-a-bitch. Born in Colo Solo, Panama Canal Zone, (that, by a stoke of luck, was owned by the U.S at the time, otherwise he could not be president), McCain was a proverbial fortunate son. His father was a career military man who had reached the rank of Admiral, so in his family's military tradition, John joined the Navy as a Naval Aviator as soon as he got out of school. From there his fortune took a sour turn. During a training exercise, John crashed his plane in Corpus Christi Bay. However, some of his luck still held, and he escaped with no major injuries. Soon after that his luck took another bad turn when he was stationed on the aircraft carrier US Forrestal. A rocket from a F-4 Phantom Jet accidentally launched while on the deck of the carrier and struck McCain's A-4 Skyhawk while he was in it. McCain managed to jump from the jet before his own bombs exploded but wasn't so lucky this time and caught scrapnel in his legs and chest.

Shortly after that, on October 26, 1967 John's A-4 Skyhawk was shot down over Vietnam. McCain broke both his arms and one leg upon ejection and landed in a lake from which he was dragged, beaten and tortured. Now, for those of you who think making someone stand in a corner is torture, let me describe what McCain got next. With both his arms and a leg already broken, he was interrogated with no medical treatment. He was beaten, bayoneted in his left foot, then his groin (OUCH), and then had his shoulder smashed with a rifle butt, and several teeth knocked out, and although I can't prove it, I'll bet he didn't even get a culturally-correct meal or a praying mat.

Even more to his credit, when the North Vietnamese discovered who his dad was, they offered to release him, but McCain refused to leave if the other prisoners in the Hanoi Hilton with him weren't released too.

After being held for 5 1/2 years as a prisoner of war, McCain was finally released to a hero's welcome in 1973. He got to meet President Richard Nixon, and in 1982 was elected to the U.S. House Of Representatives for the state of Arizona. From there he ran and won the seat vacated by Barry Goldwater in the U.S. Senate where he remains today. In 2000, he ran against G.W. for the Republican nomination and lost, mainly due to fears that his stay as a POW had made him unstable. John didn't help himself by showing bursts of rage in the Senate and using the word "Gook" a little too freely.

So why won't the Republicans get behind this true American hero?

They don't think he can win and the right wing of the Republican party thinks he's a little too far left and has crossed the aisle one too many times. You see, McCain had a falling out some time ago with the far right that nearly cost him his career. McCain was one of the "Keating Five" of the S&L Scandal in the late 1980's. In fact, his culling of political favors for Charles Keating, one the great Far-Right villains of my lifetime, is the biggest reason I won't ever support John McCain. Because of Charles Keating and the "Keating Five" thousands of elderly people loss their life savings, and John was a little too deep into it for my liking.

So here's the end result of my political analysis of this whole situation.

I don't think the Republican party will ever get behind John McCain and I think it's going to leave him bitter and resentful. John is now 70 years old and this is his last chance at this. He feels the Far Right killed off his chance last time in favor of G.W. and he's never gotten over the sting he got for dealing with the Religious Right during the S&N Scandal. If John doesn't get the nomination this time, he may do something that will send shivers down the spine of any of my Republican readers..........he may run Independent. That's right, ala Ross Perot, the bitter John McCain may just hand the election over to the Democrats (Hillary Clinton) as a last ditch attempt to get the presidency. Can he win like that? No, not unless Barrack Obama splinters the Democrats and goes Independent too, (which is real unlikely since he's everyone's favorite V.P. pick). But like Ross Perot, that's not really what John McCain wants, in the end, what he wants is revenge, revenge for lack of support, revenge for a campaign turned over to the Father's Son, and revenge for a hero turned into just another political tool. I could be wrong on this, but I'm starting to sense the beginnings of Independent John. H.C.

8 comments:

TABOR said...

Personally I'd welcome John McCain as an independant. I'm so sick of the left and right side of the aisle that I would support anyone even halfway decent as an independant. John McCain could better serve this country without having to pander to to religious right. It would be tough for me to vote for him over Obama if it came down to that. I would never vote for McCain as a Republican but I would love him as an independant. I don't know much about the Keating 5, I'll have to do more research before I make up my mind. Another guy I like is that "Kinky" Friedman, the independant from Texas. However after LBJ and G.W. Bush I think we should make it illegal for anyone from Texas to ever run for president again.

The H.C. said...

Hey Tabor,
I'm still hoping John Edwards can stop shooting himself (bashing Christians, building an obscenely big mansion) long enough to get in this race seriously. Obama's a little too left for me but I like him better than McCain, The Newt, Billary or Brownback so he has a chance with me. Mitt Romney doesn't look too bad either on the R side. Frankly there's a couple of states I would like to ban from running anyone. But I'll trade you Texas for the East Coast (Texas is bigger). I love some of the stuff your writing, keep up the good work, I'll link you up to my site. Peace out.

Andre said...

While I've always had a soft spot for war vets, McCain is losing my appeal more and more.

If I had to go Republican (joke 'o the day), I'd have to go with Huckabee. Sometimes he allows his creepy religious views to dictate his moves (which I suppose isn't all bad). But he left a pretty good impression with me in other respects.

The H.C. said...

Hey Dre,
Mike Huckabee? He's anti gay marriage, anti- abortion, and pro gun, not to mention quite right-leaning, are you sure that's a possibility for you? You should look at Mitt Romney (R-Mass), even though he's a Morman, his positions are closer to middle ground. My best point for Mitt; when he became Governor of Mass. he got stuck with a 3 billion dollar deficit (from his Dem predecessor) but balanced his budget all 4 years and still managed to creat health care for every resident (with the help of Ted Kennedy). He then gave his 425 million dollar surplus back to the people and left the new (Democrat) Governor with a clean slate, something very rare. He's worth a look.

Andre said...

When I saw Huckabee on Bill Maher's show, I peeped game to some of his stances. But interestingly I was impressed when he said something to the effect of "I'm for a, b, and c and am against x, y, and z. But those are my beliefs and I can't allow my personal convictions to shape policy for others who may not subscribe to the same tenants."

I've never had a problem with a person's beliefs (especially those ***damned conservatives). It's when they try to impose them on everybody else is when my grits get burned.

All the same, your assessment of Mitty was interesting. It's just too bad my principles won't allow me to vote Republican. Ever. Like, seriously: never. Not even if Jesus was on the GOP ticket.

The H.C. said...

******News Flash******
7:00 eastern time, from Heaven itself, Jesus has just announced he will run for the Presidency of the United States in the Republican Party. Stunned Democrats accuse Jesus of pandering to the Religious Right. Democrat sub committees announce calls for a special prosecutor to investigate whether Karl Rove has funnelled money to Heaven. Nancy Pelosi had this to say about the announcement, "This is a clear violation of Church and State and we will not stand for it." President Bush has said he's glad to have Jesus on board even though they don't agree on world domination. More news at 11:00

Andre said...

LOL!

That's the most hilarious thing I've ever read! It sounds like something I would read in the Onion.

That was classic, Hipster...

The H.C. said...

Thank you Dre,
I have my rare moments.