Monday, January 25, 2010

A BAD WEEK FOR DEMOCRATS

I probably could have used that heading for about a dozen different weeks since the Dems took power, but this week was exceptionally bad. It's hard to decide which of the two major events-the big loss in Massachusetts or the Supreme Court Decision- was the worse. Certainly the Massachusetts loss was the worst in the short run, but the S.C. decision may be the one that will do the most damage in the long run. So let's go over the two and I'll give you my spin on how I believe these two events have, and will, impact politics in the near and distant future.

The race in Massachusetts for the U.S. Senate seat was supposed to be an easy win for the Dems. With the death of Senator Ted Kennedy, the seat was open for the first time since 1962. Ted won the seat once held by his brother Bobby in a special election after RFK's assassination. Despite his lack of intelligence, ( he managed to achieve only the rank of Private First Class while in the military and had to cheat to pass Spanish.) Ted became a symbol of Liberalism in one of the most Liberal states in the U.S.. Given it's history and it's left-leaning politics, Democrat Martha Coakley looked like a shoe-in. However, a good-looking, charismatic Republican named Scott Brown managed to take an impressive 52 to 47 victory. Immediately, right-wing talk show hosts began pinning the loss on President Obama's lapel.

I don't see it like that.

I think it was more of an indictment of the Democrats in general than of President Obama. While I blame Barack for handing over the reigns to Pelosi and Reid, it's Congress that seems to be more interested in pleasing the left on every issue than listening to the moderates that helped put them in power. Health care is a disaster, Pelosi has the social appeal of a snake and Harry Reid looks like he shouldn't be left alone with children. The people of Massachusetts were simply reacting to a party that seem to be saying, "This country is ours now, and we'll do as we damn well please." From their arrogance in barely even campaigning to their sense of entitlement of the Senate seat, it's the Dems who cooked their own goose in Massachusetts. Obama merely showed up too late at a party where the mood was already set.

The result of their loss is Health Care Reform that must, (and should) be rewritten to draw more support and a tide that they must now work to turn back around.

The second strike of lightening that frazzled the Dems perfect hair-dos was a Supreme Court decision. In a case brought against the Federal Election Commission by the conservative nonprofit group Citizens United, the justices ruled 5 to 4 in favor of Citizens United. At issue was whether or not corporations, unions and other organizations had the same rights as individuals when it comes to the First Amendment. The court ruled that they do. Immediately the left went into full freak-out mode. "This will allow corporations to buy elections!" They shouted from the tallest media hills. Never mind that their candidate plowed over all money raising records this past election with the help of Google, Media Matters, Hollywood, and a host of other "corporations" as well as 527's. Since I listen to both sides (which I also recommend you do), I'll fill some of you Dems in on something that was left out of the Main Stream Media reporting. This case was triggered by the attempt by the Federal Election Commission, on behalf of the Clintons, to block the film Hillary; the Movie from being released prior to the election. I guess it's O.K. to trash G.W. with the sitcom That's my Bush, the cartoon Lil Bush, and the Oliver North film "W" (not to mention Fahrenheit 911 and a host of other documentaries) but for some reason it's not O.K. to do one on Hillary.

The end result of this decision is still to be felt, but I wouldn't worry so much about the national elections. I believe they have about as much money as they can possibly spend and I'm not so sure a lot of corporations want to be seen as openly siding with one party. What I would be concerned with is how this will effect smaller elections where a zoning decision could lead to an all out effort to remove a township board in favor of a more friendly board. Although, given the way cities like Detroit seem to be for sale, it's hard to imagine it being a whole lot worse. For the Dems, this really just means that their advantage with the Internet just got smaller. For Hillary, it means a taste of her own back-slashing medicine. As far as the corporations running this country now that they have this decision? Who do you really think has been running it? H.C.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HC: I had to wait until I saw what effect The Big O had on my IRA and meager investments. It wasn't pretty. I know that this doesn't come to a 'shock' to you, but AVERAGE Americans do own stock. Heresey to the Liberals, where in their world, only the 'elite, greedy, and evil' rich people do.

It's just amazing the amount of time the MSM put into all the huge bonuses, etc. But doesn't give two lines to the ORDINARY Americans that had their pension funds and retirement savings significantly altered by the 'expedited, pre-packaged, and otherwise blessed' bankruptcies of the Big Three.

Anyway, I've given up trying to predict which way the winds of the American Voters will blow. Was it The Big O's fault? I don't think he can duck a portion of it. Even though he hasn't openly stated (ala GWB) 'we got our butts kicked' in Mass'. You won't hear that from this guy.

Do I think the 'leadership' is to blame. Absolutely. From Piglosi to WRied-O on down.

But I don't thing the Repub's could've done better. They had their shot, and blew it.

My only hope is that come next January, we can finally lock down this out of control Guvment with a party/political gridlock.

Anonymous said...

My apologies to Ford, I inadvertantly typed the 'Big Three' when I really meant the 'Lousey Two'.....

The H.C. said...

Hey Hack,
Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been busy trying to wrap up a few things before I go in for back surgery.

"I had to wait until I saw what effect The Big O had on my IRA and meager investments. It wasn't pretty"

What caused the downturn? Most of the markets were up for the year?

"It's just amazing the amount of time the MSM put into all the huge bonuses, etc. But doesn't give two lines to the ORDINARY Americans that had their pension funds and retirement savings significantly altered by the 'expedited, pre-packaged, and otherwise blessed' bankruptcies of the Big Three."

It's so hard to figure out the MSM and why they think we care more about some Hollywood Star's new hickey than the National Debt. Hell, maybe we do. (Very sad). I was against the bailouts of the auto makers, which made me a pariah in my GM family. What's even stranger to me is that my brother got a huge buy-out (ahead of the secured bond holders) and still bad-mouths Obama while spending the check.(????) Best thing I ever got from one of our Presidents was a $200 child credit under Clinton-it paid the heat.

I firmly believe that the Reps will retake at least the House and maybe the Senate (not likely, though) in the Mid-terms. Mostly because of Reid and Pelosi. If you throw in a successful terrorist attack, it's going to be a landslide. I agree that the Reps aren't any better. It's a choice between Stupidity and unfettered Greed at this point. The problem is; we just don't have anyone representing US. We just take turns throwing out Stupid and Greedy. When will we learn and form a viable 3rd party that looks out for the Middle? (Sigh.)

At this point I'm praying for gridlock. Being in a leaky boat is better than drilling more holes.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.