Monday, December 4, 2006

ALLAN A. MORR, AMERICAN HERO
Posted in Uncategorized on March 9th, 2006
I hate to jump right back into serious mode on you guys, but this issue struck close to home.
On Feb. 22, 2006, Allan A. Morr 21, was killed in action in Al Hawijah, Iraq along with three of his fellow soldiers. An improvised explosive device blew up the Humvee they were patroling in. His father, Tim Morr said, “He died doing what he loved.” This was especially sad for me as I knew Allan and his family. I live in a rural area, where there are only about a dozen houses on my mile long block, so everyone around here knows one another. Allan’s father Tim, is a friend of my mine, though we don’t socialize much. He is a quiet, friendly, easy going kind of a guy. We share a common interest in hunting and most of our conversations revolve around it. I have been over his house a few times, and I can tell you these people are some of the best America has to offer. They are people who believe in God, Country, and family. Side with who ever you want, but when it comes right down to it, these are my people.
I met Allan a few times at the local store and when hunting my neighbor’s property, which butts up to the back of their property. Allan was a polite, respectful kid, a throwback to a time when parents taught respect, and deserved it. I read in the paper that his nickname among the other troops was “Mighty Mouse,” that seems fitting, as he always stuck me as bigger than his stature. He was a fine young man.
Which brings me to why I’m skipping lunch to get this column out.
At the funeral, a group of protesters decided to use Allan’s death to further their own agenda. The Westboro Baptist Church out of Kansas sent a band of misguided misfits who believe, and I’m not kidding, that our soldiers are dying in Iraq because we don’t condemn gay people enough. They even have a website at www.godhatesfags.com to spread their filth. My contempt for these people has no words. Whether you are for or against this war, if you want to protest, fine, but don’t stand on the sacred soil of a soldier’s burial to do it. I can’t imagine the extra pain they caused these good people. I hope God lets me watch as they struggle to justify their sick actions in his name.
Now for the good news, a wonderful group called the Patriot Guard Riders sheltered the Morr family from these idiots by forming a barrier between them. They have a website that you can get more info on their cause at; http://www.patriotguard.org/Home/tabid/53/Default.aspx Please, people if there is anything you can do to help them, do it. It’s not often you can find people willing to do something so selfless.
I tried to go over their house the other day to check on them and to offer my condolences, but they were not home. I heard they went away for a while to escape the media and rest. Good, I hope they find some peace. I know everyone in this small town is grieving for all of our loss. May God be with the Patriot Guard Riders and the Morr family. H.C.

No comments: