Wednesday, December 13, 2006


RED PILL/BLUE PILL
Posted in Uncategorized on October 18th, 2006
I sort of swiped this idea from my friend Andre from “Inside Andre’s Mind” (check out his blog, this guy’s one of my favorite writers). He brought up “The Matrix Metaphor” which is the idea that we can all chose to either face life as it really is, (the red pill) or chose to live happily in an illusion (the blue pill). It occurred to me that I probably should have given you readers that choice a little earlier on. There’s an old saying, “With knowledge, comes sorrow.” If you’ve been reading my column, you know what that means.
The Iraq War, crazy tyrants, nuclear proliferation, and terrorism, all of this is enough to push even the most happy-go-lucky person to the verge of suicide. I myself mumble “Please Kim Jong Il, don’t!” in my sleep. My wife thinks I’m having an affair with an Asian girl. All of this can lead to a life of near depression. Maybe the people who sit around watching “American Idol” or playing video games have it right. You can’t do much about the world’s problems, so just ignore them. Unfortunately, that’s not me.
I have, however, found a few ways to keep myself from falling off the deep end. For example, whenever I read a newspaper, I make sure that I read the comic section last. You’d be surprised at how reading about two black kids in the comic strip ”Boondocks” finding out that they live on “Timid Deer Lane” can make you forget a significant part of the world wants to destroy us. Another way to lighten up the mood is to laugh at the silly things politicians do. “Look Honey, Bush really thinks people are going to buy that B.S.” In this case, laughter truly is the best medicine. Which is why I always try to put a little humor in my pieces. (if you haven’t noticed any, disregard that last comment.)
So I guess what I’m doing here, is giving all of you a second chance. I’ll be gone for a little while (about two weeks) taking a vacation to Colorado. I’ll be camping at about 8,ooo feet, so my chances of finding a moment or a laptop are mighty slim. But I’ll be using that time to come up with some interesting things to talk about. We have my predictions for the November elections coming up, so I’m compiling all my data. I want all of you to use that time to decide if you really want to continue to get the full view of what’s going on in this crazy world. (Even though I’d hate to lose even one of you) I have to be fair, I can’t guarantee there won’t be times that I might scare the shit out of you, or depress you a little. (My wife jokes that I should come with a warning label) But I promise I’ll always do my best to be as fair and honest as I can possibly be, and as Morpheus said, “I’ll show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.” H.C.

No comments: