Tuesday, December 19, 2006

SEPTEMBER FORGOTTEN



Posted in Uncategorized on September 11th, 2006
I don’t need to remind all of you what happened on September 11, 2006. Every one of us over 10 years old remembers the gut-awful feeling of that day. I first heard what was going on from one of our student workers. He was surfing the net when a breaking news story crawled across his screen. One of the World Trade Center towers had just been hit by a plane. Like many of you, my first thought was that an airplane had somehow lost it’s navigation or suffered some mechanical malfunction and clipped the tower. With two of my student employees in tow, we went up to a student recreation room to watch on the big screen T.V. The room was already filling up with curious people who wanted to see how bad it was. I remember being improperly casual about the whole thing, after all, this was just another example of our airline industry not taking care of it’s planes, something that unfortunately happens once in a while. When the second plane hit the other tower right before our stunned eyes I knew, as did everyone else that this was no accident.
I don’t remember what exactly I said after the second plane hit, but I do remember the gasps and the”Oh my God” whispers of my fellow employees. For better or worse, on that day we all realized that the U.S. was no longer immune from the problems of the rest of the world.
I didn’t really plan on writing about this today; I had already started working on my next piece (on the worthless U.N.). What got me all fired-up about this is the way my wonderful Big 10 University is handling the 5 year anniversary. We are recognizing the deaths of nearly 3,000 people from every corner of the U.S. and the world by ignoring it completely. I’m not kidding. No moment of silence, no new memorials, no anything. Not even an E-Mail. It’s like it never even happened. My University puts out a weekly newspaper, ( It’s mostly all agenda driven pieces), and it contained not one reference to 9/11, and it’s even dated “September 11, 2006″. It contains an event calendar that had not one single 9/11 related event. I’m now at the end of the work day and I didn’t see anything that was put out by our University. This has even got ol’ H.C. confused, and that doesn’t happen often.
Why would they do such a thing? Is it because they’re afraid to offend extremist Muslims on campus? Should we offend everyone who feels pride in this country to spare the small fraction of Muslims who think they have the God-driven right to kill us? I don’t get it. Maybe it’s because the left-leaning faculty and administration can’t stand the notion of the U.S. being the victim in any situation. Maybe they figure it’s better to say nothing at all then to for once, stand on the side of America.
Well, I have a little piece of the web and I ain’t afraid to use it. Maybe I’m overreacting a bit here, if I am let me know. But I honestly thought even this left wing breading ground would take a minute to remember the men, women, and children who died on that awful day. On this day, September 11, 2006, I am officially stating that I am embarrassed to be at this University, embarrassed that they can’t even take one day off their stupid agendas to honor people who did nothing but go to work, and died in a war they didn’t even know was coming. H.C.

No comments: